Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Th3 T0y M4k3r's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Th3 T0y M4k3r's profile Entries: 19
Views: 7239
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4

01-07-2017 02:13 PM IRS mock-up
Got to love Murphy's Law...

I'm actually lucky the Cougar is slightly larger than the mustang. If memory serves, it's 3 inches longer than the mustang. All of this is in the rear frame rail section of the car. The cradle itself tucks up between the passanger compartment and the gas tank nicely... with some creative trimming.

I ended up needing to cut both front and rear mounting ears off the cradle and replace them with 2, 1x1x.120 wall tubing cross-members (one front and one rear). The cross-members are currently held to the frame by 4, 3/16 plates with 3, 1/4-20 bolts, in single sheer, running through the frame, in each plate. I will be enlarging the mounting bolts at some point as mock-up continues.

I will be using coil-overs, installed in the original spring pockets, to support the car. I am presently working on the mounting brackets for this. I have moved the lower mount as far out to the edge of the spring pocket as possible. This places the upper mount outboard of the frame; between the frame and the wheel arch. This should provide sufficient clearance for the wheels and tires. I have also provided for reinforcement of this area by extending the rear IRS cradle mounts. The upper mounts will also be made out of 3/16 steel.

The challenge that I have found is that the top of the coil-over mount ends up close to the frame. To compensate (without having to cut the frame) I will need to lean the tops of the coil-overs out (toward the tire) by 5* from vertical.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #19]

04-08-2007 04:44 PM Shock Mount
Here's a shot of the shock mounting point on the cast iron lower control arm. I'm hoping to use coil-overs. If I'm lucky, this point will be able to handle the stress.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #18]

04-08-2007 12:23 PM Beginning of the T-bird IRS project
Alright, the car's out for the week. Getting a few leaks fixed by a friend of mine (not having much luck myself). Anyway, it's time to start a new project.

I've mentioned it before, but another iteration won't hurt. It's the T-bird IRS project. The plan is to use the front leaf spring mounting points to bolt the front of the IRS sub-frame on. I've already cut the front mounting points off of the sub-frame. I'll replace them with 2"x2" tubing later, after I build a jig.

The profile shot shows the proper angle, front to back, for the subframe to sit. The front should be 1 3/4" higher than the rear.

I have trimmed a few pieces off of the rear of the subframe including the E-brake eyelets and the sway bar mounts. The sway bar mounts ended up protruding too far out on each side. With the ears trimmed off, the subframe measures roughly 39" which should be perfect.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #17]

03-31-2007 08:28 PM Couldn't wait
It's a real nice lookin' paperweight right now, but that's okay. I just finished the air cleaner assembly. It's 4" from filter to plenum now. Everything's in place (except for the fan belt) and most of it works together like it's supposed to. With a little more work I'll be able to get everything else to cooperate.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #16]

03-31-2007 08:09 PM Back Again
Man, it's been a while since I've updated this thing.

I've had more than a little trouble getting this engine built; been nearly ripped off twice, had to pull the heads off three times, had the intake off it more times than I can count. It's been a lot of fun.

I can tell you this for sure: this hacked together mutt of a motor will work. It's not perfect, but I'm workin' on it.

Right now I'm having some trouble with the starter, among other things. Hopefully I'll have that sorted out by the end of the week. I'll post pictures then.

[Entry #15]

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4