Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: spacytracy's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View spacytracy's profile Entries: 30
Views: 4742
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6

01-25-2015 09:01 PM 1957 3100 Chevrolet truck Camaro sub frame graft
After a cold day flash dry on the primer, I shot everything with satin black. I then had one of those oh crap moments when it occurred to me that the sub frame is Pontiac and the motor is Chevy. After contemplating fabricated motor mounts, I looked on Summit Racing and found a pair of mounts to switch it over. Guess I'm not the only bone head that made that error. Parts should be here from Reno in a couple days. Also the headers I had before will not work as they dump straight down, so I bought a pair of Stainless Camaro headers on Ebay. 105.00. I also ordered a firewall mount power master cylinder with proportion valve for the front disks, rear drums. It looked to me that the under the floor set up would have interfered with the Camaro sub frame and I don't want to crawl under the truck to cut and weld. Might have gone that direction if I had a lift. Yesterday I spent about 5 hours cleaning and prepping the motor for a fresh coat of GM red orange engine paint. Now its time to clean up the transmission and replace the rear seal and the shifter seal that have been leaking for sometime.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #30]

01-25-2015 08:46 PM 1957 3100 pickup camaro sub frame graft
After it was all welded up, I cut the two ears off that were the Camaro front body mounts and put those aside as I will use them later to mount the truck front clip to the sub frame. I then spent the entire day grinding ,cleaning ,sanding and prepping for primer then shot everything with primer.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #29]

01-25-2015 08:40 PM 1957 Chevrolet 3100 truck Camaro sub frame surgery
During this past week I had work get in the way for three days but got back on it later in the week. I cut the frame on my template lines. First with the cut off wheel to give me a good line, then with the sawzall. Old frame out of the way, I rolled the 81 Firebird sub frame into position and checked measurements again. Need to go back a little, so I scribed the joint and ground the metal back to where it was nearly a perfect fit. Drivers side was a little long but after one more scribe and grind it measured and fit close to perfect. I pulled it apart and ground all surfaces clean, then rolled it back into place and clamped it tight. I measured again to be sure it was all perfect then fired up the mig and tacked it into place. I measured again then spent the next 3 hours welding both sides with 3 different passes making sure I was getting good penetration.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #28]

01-17-2015 08:16 PM 1957 Chevrolet 3100Truck Camaro subframe graft
Now that the frame rails have been lightened of everything that is in the way, and the Centerline of the old wheels has been transferred onto the sides of the frame I measured the frame width near the firewall and cut a piece of paper backed foam board. This was 6" wide. I set this piece on the Camaro sub frame and slid it forward so that I could trace the curve of the rail onto the foam board and cut away the excess. Knowing now where the truck frame will intersect the Camaro rail I marked this point with my sharpie marker. Using a framing square sitting on top of the template, I measured from that intersecting point forward to the center of the upper shock bolt and got a measurement of 17 3/4". Now I could take this 17 3/4" measurement and go back to the truck frame where I marked the Center line of the wheels on the side of the frame and go back this amount toward the firewall and make another mark. I then took my template and cut off the square end to where it butted up to the front cab mount and forward to the new mark I made 17 3/4" behind the wheel center line. At this point I added about 1/2" to move the wheel centerline forward to help it center better in the fender wheel opening. This I have been told looks better on 55-57 trucks, and 2" more looks better on 58-59 truck because of the shape of the wheel opening.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #27]

01-17-2015 07:49 PM 1957 Chevrolet 3100 Truck Camaro sub Frame Surgery
After Removing the riveted mounts, I used the heavy transmission cross member the previous owner had installed, cut the raised ends off and welded it to the top of the frame as far back to the firewall as possible to keep everything stable and where it should be. Everything else in the way such as the steering box "junk" and the old clutch assembly were removed. I read online previously that the top shock mount on the 2nd gen Camaro/Firebird is the centerline of the wheels, so I used this as a measuring guide. Prior to removing the old straight axel I marked the original centerline of the of the wheels and also took measurements from the front body mounts to that point, and back from the frame rail ends to be sure everything was straight and true. This gave me a point to return the Camaro sub frame back to so that the wheels will end up in the center of the fender wheel openings (I made a slight adjustment to that but will bring that up later).

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #26]

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6