Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: packard38coupe's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View packard38coupe's profile Entries: 28
Views: 6084
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6

01-01-2012 11:27 AM The real work begins
Well now that the frame is naked and my friend and I built a wooden floor over the swamp ground which SWAMBO has me relegated to ( hoping that a croc will come and eat the packard I am sure) I have decided to swap the original front suspension out and replace with either a Dodge aspen/volare or a 73 camaro front end. Anybody have any ideas on this choice???? I will be using a 440 so it would be cool to have a complete mopar running chassis but I am not married to it!!! Yikes one is enough!!!! Once the front and back are on I will rebuild each with various kits and install the brake lines and electrical system before body mounting. So thats where we are at for the day and cleaning up the workspace is now mandatory to start the new year off right ( and keeping SWAMBO happy). Happy happy!!!

[Entry #28]

11-01-2011 03:40 PM Bare bones
OK OK I know I have been away from my journal but I have been working on the Packard(s). As you can see I am now down to the bare bones on both cars. With some jigging around the yard, I will put the 39 chassis under my "tent" and start to rebuild it. Front end bushings and brake kits from Kanter are the items of choice! But while waiting for that, wire brushes, wheels and good ole elbow grease will get that frame down to the barest bones of all, hehehehe

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #27]

09-29-2011 04:58 PM Almost Ready for Lift Off
Well I finally got down to work and removed all the doors, rear hood, visors, door sills and the last quarter window fixture. Now the gas tank and ready for body bolt removal. After a good hard day of cutting, grinding, swearing, hammering and a brief trip to the ER after hitting my hand instead of the cold chisel, I decided to sit back and think about what I was to do with the 39 sedan body???? Well my friend Jim who owns a 32 and a 34 ford HR also has a little boler trailer painted the same colors as his rod!! Hmmmmm, maybe the sedan could be morphed inot a small RV trailer. Know I know weight is an issue and all that, but I will be sending the hulk off to the smelter otherwise. If anyone out there sees a need for a Packard trailer to tow behind their packard to shows and stuff, drop me a line and we'll talk. See the pics

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #26]

09-11-2011 06:29 PM Ready for Body removal
I am shooting for the end of this month to get the 39 sedan off its chassis ( anybody want the body cheap)??? and to get that all cleaned up. My plan is then to remove the 8 and set it aside for another day and replace all the front end bushings, bearings, etc, the brake lines, fuel lines and wiring. Then I think I will go with the good ole 350 and auto trans and put her right down inside the monster hole!!! On goes the 38 coupe body and I can start pretending to drive this beauty around. SWAMBO will be happy that we are now down to one piece of junk and I will be set for the rainy season to do all the nitnoy pieces indoors. Going to give the faux woodgraining system on the dash and molding trim??? as well as the new chrome paint system by xcolor. I will let you all know how that turns out. OK thats it Seattle just scored a touched down and just gave one away to SF, damn. ciao

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #25]

09-11-2011 06:23 PM 3 on the Tree Issue
well finally got the contraption out and now want to remove the "tree" from the steering column. However, rather than just a simple not and bolt deal, no............ we got a blind round headed whatever instead. So the question is how do I get that off????

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #24]

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6