Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: bbeins's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View bbeins's profile Entries: 18
Views: 1287
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4

01-09-2014 05:08 PM More exhaust work
December 2013
Finished fabbing and welding the 2-1/2" exhaust. I installed electric cutouts from Doug's Headers and an x- pipe from Jegs. I'm using band clamps on the cutouts for now, and have welded in exhaust flanges with gaskets behind the x-pipe. This should allow me to drop the center section out if I need to work on the tranny. Flowmaster super 40 mufflers on back. I'll wait to finish when I get the box sides on.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #18]

12-29-2013 08:00 PM Stainless Brake Lines
While the cab is gone I ran the new brake lines. Decided to go with stainless. Big dollars but am only going to do this once so what the hell. The second picture shows the brake lines on the left, with the half inch aluminum fuel line on the right. You can also see that I'm laying out the exhaust. All this is made easier by the fact that there is no cab!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #17]

12-29-2013 07:52 PM Cab ready for Body Shop
I don't have the patience for body work, and I don't have the skills. I did the major work of replacing the rusted out portions, but will leave the rest to the experts. My local shop will work with me in doing it a piece at a time as need them done and can afford it. I decided to go with replacement fenders as the originals will take a lot of work to make right. For now, I need to get the cab work done and back so I can proceed with steering, brakes, and wiring harness. He will do all the filling, sanding and primer, then spray the color when it is all done. I built a cheap stand with wheels to move it around the shop. Should be able to roll it right on a trailer for transport.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #16]

12-29-2013 07:41 PM Outer Cowl Panels
As I am prepping the cab for the body shop, I keep pondering the outer cowl panels. The doors had been forced back on both sides sometime in its previous life, and had creased the panels on both sides. The drivers side could have been filled, but the passenger side had the louvers for the heater intake. There was just no way to straighten those little buggers. I knew I would always notice if I didn't replace them. $75 a piece, and a lot of work. I bought a spot weld remover and went to work. The upper edge was leaded in, so I used a propane torch and a wire brush to remove the lead filler. I drilled holes in the edges of the new panels, then welded them in, grinding things smooth. I filled the top edge with metal filler. The downside is I decided to eliminate the vent in the drivers side.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #15]

12-29-2013 07:17 PM Cab work
March 2012. I took the cab to a local "dry stripper" who bead blasted it inside and out. It did a great job taking it to bare metal, but also revealed issues on the cab corners. They looked like they had been shot with a shotgun. I cut the bad parts out and welded in replacement corners from LMC. The butt welds were ground down and finished with metal filler. The picture is of the cab at a street rod show.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #14]

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4