Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: CrashFarmer2's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View CrashFarmer2's profile Entries: 10
Views: 3478
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (2): [1] 2

12-16-2006 06:26 AM 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
The battery tray was rotted out so bad on the 1978 Chevy pickup that every time I would test drive the pickup out in the fields the battery would almost fall out even though I had it fairly securely strapped in. The previous owner of the pickup had repaired it with plywood and screws but the glue had let go and the layers of the plywood had separated rendering it useless. After some searching I found that I had a decent battery tray on a 1986 Chevy van. It turned out to be a tad bit smaller than the original battery tray but with a little cutting, shaping and welding it worked fine. I sprayed a little yellow paint on it since I had a can of it going to waste that probably would not be any good come spring anyhow and I figured a coat or two of paint would not hurt.

My goal on this was to repair the battery tray as cheaply as possible. I could have found a tray that fit the pickup but that would have involved spending time and money. In doing it this way the pickup is functional but all I am out is a little time, welding wire and electricity.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #10]

12-15-2006 07:03 PM 1978 Chevy C20 floor repair, final panel
Next I measure, cut, shape and weld the third and final piece into place.

That should keep the chainsaw safe for the winter.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #9]

12-15-2006 06:59 PM 1978 Chevy C20 floor repair second panel
Then I measure, cut and shape the second panel.

Once I am happy with the shape and fit, I spot weld that piece into place.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #8]

12-15-2006 06:55 PM 1978 Chevy C20 floor repair, first panel
Shaping the first piece requires a bit of pounding and checking to see if it fits. I am using metal I cut out of an old dryer for patch panels.

Once I have the piece fitting to my liking I spot weld it into place.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #7]

12-15-2006 06:51 PM 1978 Chevy C20 floor patching.
I discovered a crack in the frame of my F350 recently which needs to be repaired before I do any more hauling with it. Since the engine is blown in my F250 4X4 and I am selling my 1974 C20 to a friend that left me without a truck to haul anything with. Things will get awful cold around here if I cannot get any wood hauling done so I decided to resurrect a 1978 Chevy C20 that has been sitting for around seven years. I got it running pretty good but it had two gaping holes in the floor, one on each side of the cab.

My goal with patching the holes in the floor of this truck is only to keep the heat and tools in the cab. It is hard to cut wood if your chainsaw fell out through the hole in the floor and you ran over it! This truck only has to function until I can get an engine in the F250. This will also give me valuable practice with welding sheet metal, a skill I can use for future projects. If it was my intention to fix this old truck to be showy I would be looking for another cab.

The hole in the passenger side looks pretty bad but the driver's side was worse. Unfortunately I patched that side up before I took any pictures.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #6]

Pages (2): [1] 2