Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Renegade_6's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Renegade_6's profile Entries: 1
Views: 161
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

05-03-2012 07:44 AM The 283 Cast discovery post
Okay so while deployed in Iraq I had a "Friend" and professional engine builder build me what I thought was a 327 for my 67 Camaro resto project. My friend builds engines for the NASCAR K&N Pro series east. The engine stayed wrapped and stored for about 2 years, after investing 4K in the engine build I decided to drop it in and start the process.
In the military its not easy to drag a resto project all around the US while you get it together, so the project start time was crucial.
Here are the general specs- Street demon 750 manual carb, torque intake, Dart II custom heads, Super comp 1 7/8 headers, Hydro cam, and roller rockers.
I have less than 300 miles on the engine, a junk turbo 400, 290ish rear, and have not passed the rpms over 4300. The engine seem extremely strong, My "friend" told me the "327" can handle 8500-9000 rpms and will push 500+hp.
This week I looked up the cast numbers just to see what year it was and was shocked to find the 283 cast number. I am dropping in a T56 tranny and 411 posi at the end of the month. I am concerned that the thing is not going to perform to my expectation or will grenade. Has anyone built a 283 that pushes 500HP is it possible?
I have read all the opinion post on the site so no need to tell me to build a 350. I want to hear from guys that have a 283 /327 pushing 500hp+ or subject matter experts on this type of build. I am calling my "Friend" this week end that live 1000+ miles from me to discuss and get a copy of the build sheet so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

[Entry #1]