Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Cobra427sc's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Cobra427sc's profile Entries: 15
Views: 2522
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

10-09-2012 10:44 PM Building a Powder Coating Oven.
Hey Everyone!
Time to update the progress of my Building a Powder Coating Oven.
This was an old Freezer that I converted into a PC Oven. The old freezers have a metal inner insert and not the plastic ones that you usually find in the newer freezer models.

So going with that Idea I continued to build a PC Oven for as cheap as I could for what I need to PC.

Ok! All said and done.
My older brother was doing the controller box for me, as he is great with the electrical side of things than I am. I mean I probably could have set it up but, most probably I would fry a few things before I got it to work right.

Anyways! We got the controller box mounted and set up in rough form to do the pre-bake test and see what was going to smoke/burn. All the contaminants that were left as I was building the oven, like finger prints/un-removed tar from the inner part of the freezer, paint and what ever else.

Well to my surprise everything went well. The PID controlled the temp as was expected and there was only a little smoking going on in the right side of the upper door.

Which I expected as I didn't get all that tar off!
Remember the tar? When you pull out the inner metal parts of the freezer all the tubing for the coolant is weaved all over the insert and then covered in tar.
I removed all the tubing and most of the tar with kerosene but I didn't do a great job at the outer lip area, it was kind of sharp there and, I like my fingers where they are. Oh well no big deal!

So it will smoke for awhile until it all burns off.
We ran it up to 400 degrees for a couple of hours and checked the sides/door/back for any heat escaping.
All was cool to the touch!!! Perfect and great news!

I will attach some video links that my brother made to put on YouTube if you are interested in checking out the smoking and operation of the PC Oven pre-bake test.
It's not long but is kind of cool to see what will happen if you build one yourself.

I will do some more pre-bake tests to burn off the residue until I get most of it off.
Then I'll be ready to Powder Coat something for a test. Most likely one of my chip test panels I bought on ebay.

Here's are the links and some pictures to check out.
Thanks to all for checking out my Powder Coating oven build.
I hope you liked it.
http://youtu.be/TnQCIBav4YY
http://youtu.be/vxkIgeRD6P4

I'd like to Thank my older Brother Dave for all is help!!!
Thanks Bro!

Cobra427sc.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #15]

10-09-2012 10:39 PM Building a Powder Coating Oven.
Well got some more work done on the Powder Coating Oven.
We hooked up the 30 Amp Dual pole breaker to the house and ran the 8/3 gauge wire to the breaker and the other end to the female connector under my porch as I said before.

I will plug it in with my 50ft welding extension cord when I need to use the PC Oven. I prefer to have no power in my garage unless I need it. That's just me.

So got it all hooked up and ready to test the oven.

Here are some picture's of the progress.

Thanks for looking.
Cobra427sc.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #14]

09-26-2012 03:35 PM Building a powder Coating Oven.
Hey Everyone!
Got some more work done on the oven.

I finally got the fan to work right. My brother had an old circulating fan motor, but the shaft was to short.

So! He used an old drill bite that was the same size as the shaft to extend it.
Then placed the motor under a drill press then used the chuck from the drill press to line up the pieces.

Solider it up and it works great! It has a slit wobble to it, but really not much that it interferes with it working right.

As you can tell in the picture.
I also added the shelf rails and, cut up some old metal racks to fit them. I put in some 17 x 8 inch rims to show how I plan on baking them. It should work out fine after testing the temperature in the test stage.

All there is now to do, is add the control unit with the PID, power/fan/light switches then hook up the 220 from the house and, shake and bake.

OK! Not yet!!

I'll have to do the pre-bake test out side and, see what happens.
It will most likely smoke as, it burns all the contaminates that are inside the oven.
I plan on running it at 400 to 500 degrees maybe higher?
Will see!

Anyways here are some pictures of the oven to date 9/26/2012
Hope you like it so far.

Cobra427sc

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #13]

09-24-2012 02:55 AM Building a Powder Coating Oven.
Well I did a bit more work on the oven this weekend. Not as much as I would have liked to have done.
It rained pretty much all weekend here. If I'm going to do work on the oven.
The cobra has to come out of the garage.

Anyways I had to make some kind of brackets to attach the hooks for the clamping door hings.

So I took a piece of sheet metal and, fabricated something to support the pull of the clamps to tighten the door to the door seals.
Works great pretty strong and, that's all that matters.

I also attached the element rack to the walls. This will protect the elements from any accidents that just may happen.

With the grilled rack I can also weave in some sheet metal to reduce the heat from being directly applied to the items being baked.
I have heard of elements being to close to the items and causing problems, just like to cover all the bases as possible.

Still waiting on the switches for the Controller Box! I can't believe it is taking almost 3 weeks from Toronto to Montreal. They should be in tomorrow!!!!!!

Things to do!!
1) Re-mount the new fan.
2) Add the inside light.
3) Run the 220 line from beaker box inside house, to out side under the porch.
4) Add switches to controller box finish the wiring off.
5) Attach the rack frames to walls, or make a removable rack.
Not sure about the racking setup yet...but it will come to me.
Not as easy as you would think, because of the in-caved lower box area, causes a problem.
Anyways will see about it and fix something up.

So here are the new pictures as of September 24 2012.
Later and thanks for looking.

Cobar427sc

P.S Just would like to point out that if anyone is looking for a Flux-Cored Wire Feed Welder!!

They are selling them at http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8209686/120v/Powerfist-Flux-Cored-Wire-Feed-Welder

For $99.00 and depends where you live the shipping is free...BUT ONLY UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30 2012. They are usually 199.99 plus shipping.

I know it's a GREAT deal...I bought one and it cost me $99.99 to my door.!!!!

I don't usually do this but hope the members here have a chance at something I come across that may help them too.
If you get one just send me a Thanks
Cheers to Everyone!!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #12]

09-18-2012 11:23 PM Building a Powder Coating Oven.
Hey everyone!
I was playing around with were, I want the inner oven light to be.
Somewhere out of the way, but has good lighting to check the items being baked.
I had to remove the inner light seal...you know that rubber piece that goes around inside the glass cover.

It will melt at 400 degrees easily and, the light is only 150 watts but,, seems to be alright with good lighting inside.

It's all metal and, I'm not sure if it will hold up to the temps, but will see.

I just found that the porcelain one looked a little cheap and, if you accidentally hit the bulb it will explode and, you will have glass all over the place.
So that's why I went with this little light that I got at the hardware store.

Just not sure where to put it yet,.....but trying things out.

Waiting on some parts to come in, so I can complete the oven.

I still need to add the racking system to the oven.
Add the 25 ft 220 cable to the House Power Box and, run it out under the porch, so I can plug the oven in, when I need it.

I like the power to my garage completely off! It only comes on when I put the power switch on inside.

I just feel better knowing that nothing can cause a electrical fire, if there's no power to the garage.

I sleep better at night knowing that my 3 year AC Cobra build, didn't go up in flames due to and electrical problem in the garage.

It may sound dumb, but not to me!

So stay tuned for more pictures to come.

Thanks for looking, Hope you like it so far!
Cobra427sc

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #11]

Pages (3): [1] 2 3