SO my plan is trying to keep this car looking as 60's style as possible. SO along with hiding the stereo I also wanted to hide my linelock activation button and my choke cable. I took the ash tray apart and only saved the front of it. I then took 20 guage aluminum and cut it to fit the backside contours of the dash so it would have a snug fit. Then I hand hammered a oval shaped recess into a flat piece and riveted this to the two outside pieces. Then the whole thing is held in place with small bolts in the holes that were there. Later I will put the ash tray door on a hinge so I can flip it up and down. No one has to know I have a linelock or manual choke. But now you know so just don't tell anyone.
First off I didn't want to have my stereo out in the open because it just ruins the dash. I also wanted hide my linelock button and my choke cable lever. SO I took the old plasma to the stock radio area. I then welded in a box I made out of 20 gauge sheetmetal. this houses the headunit. It is recessed so I can put the stock radio bezel and faceplate over the top. SO you'll never see it until I flip the bezel down. I still need to clean up the job a little but this is bacically how it will look. I will post more pics when I finish the faceplate I am building.
I wanted to make my engine compartment as clean as possible. SO I began by rerouting all the wiring under the inner fenderwells. I also remounted the starter soleniod to a hidden location. all the wiring on the firewall was moved down out of site. Then I filled all of the holes in the inner fenders. You may also notice the addition of a demon carb. I love it. It is the best carb I have ever ran. It gave my car so much better throttle response then the edelbrock. It also idles better. also there other thing you may notice is the Jack Daniels over flow bottle. That was my own personal creation as well. The next thing will be the firewall.
I will be doing the body work in stages, mostly because I am too busy working on other peoples cars doing their body work. But to start I sanded it all down and got rid of the rust. Then fixed the minor dings and dents. and I shaved the tumbler off the decklid and installed a hidden latch in the gas filler neck space. I did this by merely flipping the trunks latch meachanism upside down. and making the lever to activate it come out next to the filler neck behind the flip down door. Then shot some DPlf 50 epoxy primer. Then then I covered that with John Deere Blitz black. This way I can continue to fix minor things and just recoat small areas
Well I rebuilt the 289 in the comet. I planned on redoing it stock so much for that. It got a all new bearings new rings I crossed honed the cylinders, installed new cam bearings those bearins support a new cam .448/.472 it is an awesome cam. I also purcahsed all new pushrods and rocker arms. Had stock heads rebuiolt 3-angle valve job, hardened seats. The I topped it off with a new Edelbrock perfomer intake and oreformer carb. and Hooker super comps.
So much for being stock.