Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: bubcat66's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View bubcat66's profile Entries: 3
Views: 309
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

12-09-2012 10:47 AM bubcat66 '47 Merc sedan (more pics)
Hi all,
Finally got that sunny weather I was waitin for, so I rolled the old gal out for some pics. Hope you enjoy.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

12-05-2012 12:26 PM bubcat66 '47 Merc sedan ( a little more info )
While I'm waitin for the weather to clear so I can get the car outside and take a couple more pics, here's a little history...
This particular Merc is a relatively rare New Zealand assembled model (note the RH drive wheel position) from back in the day when Ford still had assembly plants here. Nowdays all NZ Fords are imported (mostly from Australia and Europe). Even in the halcion days of local assembly, most NZ cars were small to medium sized 4-banger British Fords. Their bigger, flashier US cousins were only assembled in much smaller numbers, which makes American steel of the era quite sought after in this part of the world.

These days a lot of guys are importing what I call, "Boyd Coddington" cars from the US. VERY expensive, professionally worked cars, but I don't have anywhere near that kind of money to spend on this car! So she will be sittin pretty in primer grey out in my dusty garage for a while to come yet...
More pics to come soon though, so you can see she is a project well under way, and in pretty good shape all things considered.

[Entry #2]

12-04-2012 10:20 PM '47 Mercury sedan
This is pretty much how I got this car 6 months ago. Lucky for me, all the tricky body work had been done by the previous owner (who owns an immaculate '47 Merc coupe). The car is all-original and complete, except for the gearbox. Haven't done much to her yet except fit a new twin exhaust and get her running. Got most of the re-wiring done now too, only guages to go. Gotta haul *** though on finishing the primer as the tops of both rear quarter panels are bare metal, and with the humidity we get here they flash rust faster than you can pop the top off your first beer!
Not too many of these old gals round these days, so I'm hoping to have her finished and on the road in time to drive my daughter to her high-school ball in 2 years time. Better quit yackin and get on out to that garage then eh? Will post a few more pics soon!

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #1]