Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: russ69coupe's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View russ69coupe's profile Entries: 40
Views: 7212
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (8): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

01-23-2013 06:27 PM starting to go the right direction
Turns out we are getting a decent (for us) tax refund. I already have the ok to spend it on the Lemans once we get it. Going to be spending about $1400 at Summit Racing. I am also getting a 9inch Ford rear that is already setup for a Lemans. It has a mini spool though, so that is something I will have to change before the car goes on the road. 3.90 gears, which is right in the middle of the range I wanted. Yes, overdrive is in the plans sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.
Between the Summit order, the rear, and an order to VFN for the front end mounting kit, I am close to having everything I need to get the car back on the road, except for the engine and transmission.

I put the front suspension on the frame. Everything but the coils and shocks. Need to get a coil compressor here. Getting the rear in about 3 weeks if the good ol' IRS gets their act together. Not processing returns until the 30th. Sheesh. And to think I paid extra to efile. Oh well.

Thanks,
Russ

[Entry #40]

12-28-2012 09:06 PM had a heart attack two weeks ago
haven't been doing much to the Lemans lately anyway, still working on getting the frame cleaned and painted. I do have more parts for it. The guy selling the fuel cell flaked out on me, so I lost money. Good thing I never sold the new stock reproduction tank, going to be sumping it now.

Been trying to get the Explorer back on the road, bought all the parts I needed and then the heart attack hit while I was working on it. I am lucky. No damage. But it has forced me to stop working on anything for a while. I just started getting the garage cleaned up tonight. Need to get the Explorer in it so I can finish that and get back to the Lemans. stupid snow.

So much for having the Lemans back together by Christmas. Now I am hoping for late spring. Still hoping to be driving it this summer, but now I am not too sure if it will happen. Am re-re- thinking the electrical layout. Since I don't have to worry about the fuel cell in the trunk I am going to go back to the original plan of having the main fuse box in the trunk. I picked up a nice battery box from Summit on their clearance tables. It is for a 2005ish Mustang, but for $100 it will work just fine on the Lemans. Original price was close to $300 for it. Not sure if I mentioned it before but I also got a complete brand new front end for teh Lemans from the guy selling me the body cheap. So as soon as I finish the frame painting I can start assembly!!!! :-)

Thanks,
Russ

[Entry #39]

08-02-2012 05:43 PM I'm still kicking (hopefully not the bucket)
Sort of anyway. The heat and humidity are just taking everything out of me. Haven't gotten much at all done on the car.

Oh, just re-reading my previous entry. It really has been awhile. I have the good body in the garage. Have the fiberglas trunk lid partially mounted. Have a pair of hood pins on it towards the rear. I am hoping to use the hinges for the main opening. No torsion rods, just bare hinges.

Also got the passenger seat located and partially mounted. I need to come up with some brackets for the front mounts. Thinking angle steel that I have, if I can bend one leg slightly. The front mounts on these seats are angled. I could just straighten them out, but am worried about weakening them and having them break in use. That would be bad.

One other thing is that I am going to have to rethink my plans for putting the electrical stuff in the trunk. Decided to go with a fuel cell instead of a stock tank. I am getting a really good deal on a slightly used 16 gal. one on a Pontiac forum. I don't mind the battery being in the trunk still (although I need to get a sealed box for it now) but I really don't think having fuses and relays in there is a good idea with the cell. I was going to sump the stock tank, but there is no way I can do that and beat the price of this fuel cell. Plus it is something I always wanted to have, so might as well do it while I can.

So I am trying to decide where to put all this electrical stuff. Under the dash is still not happening, unless I can lose about 100 pounds and about 25 years. And I want the absolute minimum under the hood/tilt front end. Really thinking about the interior rear quarter panel area. The rear windows will be non-operable, so no window stuff behind the panel. I will still be able to easily reach that area, which is a major plus. And down the road when I get the 6pt roll bar in I won't have to worry about moving this stuff, as long as I leave some room now.
Another option would be to build a false floor behind the front seats. Either way I want to be able to have a cover over it to keep it out of sight. Going to have to think about this for a while.

Thanks,
Russ

[Entry #38]

05-23-2012 04:27 PM Been reading the electrical section, made me get going on mine
At least a little.
I went out to the garage last night about 1AM (I work second shift) to start laying out and mounting the stuff going on my "electrical panel" as I am calling it. This is going in the trunk, will have the fuse box, cut-off switch (when I get one), the ford starter relay, and some misc. stuff. But I realised that since the garage door is now off the garage, I would be making too much noise. So I still wanted to do something electrical, and decided to start disassembling the 97 Ford Explorer wiriing harness that is going to be the donor. Paid $50 for the whole thing bumper to bumper, from a guy I bought some other stuff for my Explorer, and also the seats that are going into this car. Anyway, I cut off almost all the connectors since I won't be using them since I don't have the other half of the connectors. Man, there are a lot of relay boxes on this thing. There are like 36 circuits in the fuse box, and I think I could relay each one of those. Definitely worth the money if you can get one of these. I could probably wire 2 or 3 cars with all this wire. I imagine that anything from that time frame would be good. I still need to "unharness" the wires. Maybe tonight. Also need to start marking what wires go to what fuse.

Used Klein wire cutters, that was a good purchase. I was cutting 20 wires just like I was using a pair of very sharp scissors. I also have the Klein crimper. Got both at either Lowe's or Home Depot. Recommended by MADElectrical, and I can see why. So much easier and better results than the cheap kind.

Hopefully since I got the garage door off I can get the body in the garage this weekend, as well as do some of the stuff that will make noise. It's one of the bad things about working nights. I get home ready to get to work and I can't really do much.

Thanks,
Russ

[Entry #37]

05-17-2012 05:00 PM pictures pt. last
last of what I have now.
No real close up ones yet.
Thanks,
Russ

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #36]