I finally got around to shaving the drip rails. I went about it slightly different than the usual method, from what I understand. Usually, from what I've heard, people remove the drip rails completely, including the 1" lip that's spot welded to the window frame. When you remove this however, you end up with a 1/16" to 1/8"gap around the window. I opted to leave that in and tack weld it back to the adjoining sheet metal that make up the window frame. It's a fairly easy modification, if you're so inclined. The first picture is a before and the following 2 are after.
By this time the car has been completely stripped except for the rear axle. Since I've already decided to go to the extreme on this project, I figured I'd better do the undercarriage right too. That's how the rotisserie project was spawned. The mustang came to a halt until I could finish the rotisserie. It took about a month and a half of on and off work. I had to get the plans and the steel and I could only work on it every other weekend so it took a while, but I definitely think it was worth it. It sure makes cleaning it out easier after I sandblast it and those hard to reach places aren't nearly as hard to reach.
Next on the list was the cowl vent repair and replacement. I knew this was going to be a horrid ordeal, but it had to be done. I removed the cowl grille(144 spot welds) and had to laugh at the poor attempt the previous owners made at fixing this serious problem. With the cowl grille off, I cut out what was left of the cowl vents and blasted and primed what was left. After installing the new cowls I really felt a sense of accomplishment. What a relief to have those replaced. While I was at it, I went ahead and blasted and primed the firewall, front side and back.
Whelp, first I decided I should learn how to weld unless I planned on farming all this work out, which I'd never have enough money for. In addition to that, I don't really think I could trust anyone else to fix anything on this car considering the previous work that was done to it. A month and half later I figured I was ready. I decided to start with the projects that would be less conspicuous if I messed the welding up. So the vote went to the floor-pans. It took a while to get them out and put them back in, but when I did I was satisfied with the results.
Well, after disassembling about 75% of the car, the list of "things to do", was growing. The floor pans had been previously replaced, but they neglected to replace the leaky cowl vents so the floor-pans were once again shot. The cowl vents were a nightmare. Somebody tried to rig job them by torch cutting little doors in the cowl vent cover, rather than removing it entirely. Then they poured resin all around the cowl vents, so they would have to be replaced too and the cowl vent cover would have to be patched because after they torch cut the doors in the sides, they didn't weld them back up, they just bondo'ed over them.