Well i just wanted to put in a few pictures of the fairlane finished, i'll add detailed pictures and stuff of everything i did later on. Also here's a picture of me and my little brother's next project, a 66 wildcat convertible. We have the frame off and motor and trans out for a rebuild now (has a 425 nailhead), and we're wrapping the frame and putting in either a 3 pump hydraulic setup or an air bag setup with 5/8" line and nitrogen. I'll be posting progress pictures on that too
The whole install took us about 3 days to get finished, and there are no leaks at all. I left it with around 50 psi in each bag, came back a week later and they were both still at 50, air ride tech. makes quality stuff! With the air ride in, the car was dropped to about 3" above the ground, and it raises about 6" above that. I have 14x7 McLean wire wheels on it now, with 185/60 R14 cooper cobras, but those are just on for now so I can see how much I need to roll the fender lip so I can turn. Once school gets out I plan on pulling the engine and doing a rebuild, finishing off the body work and starting on the custom stuff (shaving the door handles, locks, finishing taking off the drip rails, suicide the rear doors) and maybe a few more things will get tossed in as I go along. I'll also be trying to learn how to do all my own interior work, so I'll let you guys know how that goes. I'm debating what color paint to go with though, I'm tossing around either a white over silver two tone, or a light blue with white top. Let me know what you think of the Fairlane!
After we finished up the front, we moved on to the back of the car. I decided to go with the air over leaf system for the back, since it was cheaper and easier. If I don't like it, I might just end up upgrading to a 4 link a little farther down the road. We took out all the leaf springs except for one, bolted the bracket under the axle, welded the bracket to the frame and bolted the bags to that. I also put in 2" lowering blocks to drop the back down level with the front. We Also welded on new mounts to fit the new shocks that came with the air ride kit. After we had the bags in, we ran air lines from the compressor to the tanks, then to the controller, and then to the bags. I have an air ride 327 compressor, two 2 gallon tanks, 1/4" airline and I think 1/8" valves (whatever is in the controller).
After I brought the car home, I had a few weeks to do a little body work and strip it down to fix it up, but then I had to start my freshman year in college. I'm majoring in mechanical engineering, so time was tight with all the homework they load on you. During winter break I did a little more body work and dent fixing, but spring break was when the fun work started. Over the winter I was saving up money and then spending it on parts, so when spring break came around it was time to get to work! We installed the Air ride over the break, and it gives the car a whole new look.
I bought an air ride technologies kit that would replace the front coilsprings with bags, and we put that in first. We took out the front coil, modified the brackets so they fit into the control arm and shock tower, and bolted it in! After that, we had to relocate the shock to wherever we could get it to fit, so we mounted the bottom to the control arm, and the top to the frame.
In late august last year, I was cruising around my town and came across this car for sale down the road from where I lived. It's a 1964 Fairlane 500, with the stock 289 (which ran great) and no interior. I stopped and talked to the guy selling it, and he tells me he has a couple sets of every trim piece that goes on the car, plus an extra 289 HIPO block with crank and pistons. I say "sounds great but how much do you want" and he told me a hundred bucks! So, I handed him the cash, drove my dad's truck to his house to load in parts, and then put a milk crate in it and drove it home.