Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Carbed95GT's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Carbed95GT's profile Entries: 6
Views: 3443
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (2): [1] 2

06-01-2004 09:53 PM First time out in 8 months!
It's been a while, but once again, the '89 sees the light of day. In October, we ripped off the Novi blower, and tore the engine down to the shortblock. Looking at the engine at the time was quite depressing. I thought to myself "we should have just left it alone..........low mileage, excellent body, what the hell are we doing". It was discouraging to think that what was once a well-running stock machine would never be the same. Well folks, it isn't the same. However, I say that proudly. True, the car was all original, but I'm a firm believer in the fact that you must personalize your car and make it YOURS. If a car isn't unique, then what the hell do you have anyway? With the popularity of the Fox-platform Mustangs, it's difficult to drive around the block without seeing at least one. You're hard-pressed to drive for half an hour and not see more than two. So, when I see those cars, I wanna look at mine and see something different. I realize this isn't a 1950 Ford. I can't french my headlights, and chopping the top isn't quite gonna work on this car, LOL. I have more plans, but haven't been able to finish them all yet. I'm trying to do as much as I can to set the car apart from the hundreds of thousands of other white convertible Mustangs, and while the transformation is slow and costly, it's definitely working. And was it worth it? To me, hell yeah it was worth it. Call me crazy, but I'd rather have a Mustang personalized to my taste over an "all original", bone stock, concours type Mustang. I'd much rather turn the car into what I want it to be, rather than trying to please a car show judge. Anyhow, the pictures of the car in its current state are below. Enjoy, till we meet again!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #6]

06-01-2004 09:30 PM Let there be engine completion..........
At long last, the '89 rides again. I'm pretty surprised at how much faster it seems, yet at the same time disappointed that the car is quite obese. You can literally "feel" the weight. I do have a solution though. I'm going to drive the car, and have some fun in it for now. However, in the fall, it's time for a T5 swap. I was never really into automatic trannies anyhow. To me, it's like you're not in control. Beyond selecting "P", "R", "N", or "D", you do nothing but aim and drive. I've always felt more comfortable in 5 speed cars, and they're a hell of alot more fun to drive. So, around the end of October, look here for the play-by-play of stick-shiftifying the '89 Mustang.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #5]

05-26-2004 08:13 PM We must be crazy..........
Back to the 95 GT........

Well, the 347 is history. And so is our experimental carb project. I believe that both EFI and carbs have their pros and cons. However, we now know what our mistakes in EFI are, and we've decided it's time again to conquer the beast. Pictured below is the car without a motor, and with the used, POS test motor we picked up. The motor is bolted down, but that's the easy part. Jerry now has to completely rewire the car and take the fuel system back to factory specs. He says two weeks worth of work will do it.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #4]

05-07-2004 11:33 PM More "NO GO" parts........
Today, we added perhaps the best cosmetic enhancement, save for the 17" wheels. My first picture will depict the car wearing it's factory "no taste" option, known as the Ford luggage rack. Who in the hell came up with this bright idea? I mean come on......it's the sort of thing you'd expect to find ONLY on a LeBaron or something. I don't ever recall a Camaro convertible being equipped with this hideous thing. I always said if Ford was gonna screw them up bad enough to add a luggage rack, they should have gone all out and added the Continental kit. YUCK! Anyhow, the second and third pics show that same decklid with the luggage rack gone, the holes filled, and a Summer Edition wing added. Much better, IMHO.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

05-06-2004 01:05 AM NO GO 5.0 nears completion
It's about that time! After sitting in hibernation, a new creature is about to emerge from our garage. What went into the garage in October as a stock 1989 Mustang convertible with 17,000 miles is coming back out as a worked Steed, packing alot more horsepower than it's accustomed to. Here's what we've done.

We ditched the 245/45/17s out back and replaced them with a pair of BFG drag radials measuring 275/40/17. We added a set of worked Stage 3 ported GT40 irons, a Steeda #19 camshaft, a Typhoon intake, BBK ceramic coated shorty headers, 65mm throttle body, 73mm mass air, and 24# injectors. Hopefully, this will give the car a little bit of grunt it never had. The car was a total slug........I'm not even gonna confess what it ran in the 1/4. But hopefully this time, it won't be an embarrassment. I'll keep you posted.......

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #2]

Pages (2): [1] 2