Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: schnitz's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View schnitz's profile Entries: 63
Views: 14442
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (13): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

07-21-2007 02:50 PM Christmas 2008 came early!!!
It's finished!!! My lawn tractor trailer project is finally done!!! Minus the stain that I'll put on after I give the side boards a chance to get some "patina" and further dry a bit. What a feeling of finally getting real progress made. Tangible accomplishment. However, there is a bit of bad news to go along with the good. I've added up most of the receipts for the parts and materials to build this, and I've discovered that for a third of the price, I could have bought a ready-made brand new trailer. Granted, that wouldn't have been built by my sweat equity, but the wallet may have been less impacted. I may have to keep this one around now to justify the $$$$ spent on it. My wife was thrilled by that proposition.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #63]

03-20-2007 09:30 PM Finally, back in the garage
It has finally warmed up enough for me to actually find my garage and get back in it. In the last entry, I commented on losing some space due to buying my O.S.B. I should have waited until now to have bought it. The savings (it was $7.59 a sheet in early Dec. to now at $4.79 a sheet) would have paid for the R11. Supply and demand, oh well. I lost a bit more space, but this time it was for more shop equipment. I scored a Lincoln 225 stick welder for dirt cheap, and I couldn't pass on it. It came with a few extra's as well. As a small perk, too, maybe I'll be able to improve my welding skills with this one. I have a Century 85 wire feed as well, but as of yet, my skills are still horrendous with either one. I sure hope practice will make me better.

Second, I got 2 more sheets hung on the ceiling and 2 partial sheets on the walls. The whole wall that the overhead door is on has been finished. Insulated, wired, vapor barriered, and O.S.B'd. Completed. What a feeling of accomplishment to get that done. The fuse panel will be set into the corner between my overhead door and the service door, and most of the work there has been done as well.

Not pictured is the frame from the '81 Regal that I bought strictly for that frame. It was to be used as the frame for the Major Pain, but after getting that part's car '78 Monte Carlo with a good frame, I decided to use it's frame instead. After months of sitting with that frame listed locally and on the web, it's go time. I'm probably hacking it for scrap before this weekend. I know it's kinda wasteful, but I did make what I paid for the whole Regal back off it in parts and by selling the engine/trans combo. No big loss, financially anyways. More updates in a while.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #62]

12-05-2006 09:46 PM I had a small realization...
O.K., maybe a couple. First, I realized I hadn't posted much (or anything) about project progress. Mainly because I have made exactly zero progress aside from totally finishing my 4th of July deck project, and buying the O.S.B. for the garage. There went some space.

Second, I remembered a nearly forgotten anniversary. On the third of December,1994, I bought my '78 Monte. I was going to post memories of the car during the rebuild of the car, but it's just too freaking cold in the garage right now. And, I can't seem to sell my other frame. I just can't do a whole lot until I get more room in there. Anyway, back to the memories. Maybe they'll serve as motivation.....

Not much of anything went right that day 12 years ago. I had to work late. Therefore, I didn't get to do the "right" things when going to look at this car. I broke probably every single rule in the book when it comes to buying. I looked at it after dark. Never haggled on the price. Test drove it maybe the equivalent of 2 city blocks. I never "slept on it" for a day or two. No mechanic buddy of mine checked it out. I should have been scared of it by the seller's statements and actions. But I was drawn to it. My dad had worked with the seller, but even he'd never seen it before. I knew nothing at all about the car, but I had burning cash just begging to be out of my wallet.

The first thing I did after eyeballing it's body lines (driver's side only, actually) by using my dad's car headlights (looked straight from 60 feet....must've been good), was to open the door and find no dome light. I did, however find a flashlight and 3 (!!!!) sheets of paper (front and back) listing every single detail that the seller knew about the car. He listed the age of the battery, the fact that it needed new brakes, a fresh antifreeze flush for the winter, and even the small matter that the heater only worked on high (who needs low heat in Wisconsin anyway??).

He said he'd been buying, selling and trading cars for nearly 30 years. The price was a firm $400. Cash only. I should have watched "Christine" before going. LOL! I was hooked by this car like no other car I've ever owned. It just feels right. I can't explain it, and I don't even want to try. On the bright side, my wife understands, and encourages it. By now, most women probably would have had it hauled out of the garage so they could park inside. Not my wife. We fell in love in this car, I proposed in this car, and have been sitting with it taking space in the garage for 7 years now. There's no turning back now. I've been had.......

[Entry #61]

09-03-2006 01:27 PM Got decking?
I've been off and on working on the trailer, and not been doing a real great job of updating. So here's a quick update.

The fenders and the tail light housings stick up a bit higher than what the deck does, so in order to clear them with my expanded decking, I had to build "up" the base framework. Two 2 X's laid flat and stacked with a notch cut in to clear the obstructions was all I really needed. The first picture shows my first base buildup layer. I'm sure that using 2 X 10's will give the frame a bit too much structure, but I'm all about overkill. If you doubt that, think back to my garage lighting plans....

The next two pics are of my decking prior to the notching for clearance. It definately looks bigger than 4 ft by 8 ft, doesn't it?

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #60]

08-06-2006 06:25 PM The worst rot.
These 3 pictures show the worst of the rust and rot on the old parts car. The lower portion of the right side quarter is pretty far gone, the right side rocker panel is gone (by my standards anyway), and the last one is just basically surface rust on the rear edge of the driver's side door. It's better than what's on the Major Pain, so I'll be fixing it, eventually. I've tried to stab thru the underside in a lot of other places with a small screwdriver, but it's solid everwhere else I poke it. Maybe I found a decent one...

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #59]

Pages (13): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13