Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: hduff's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View hduff's profile Entries: 54
Views: 5203
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (11): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

01-21-2015 12:09 AM TR3 Restoration

Matt and I started by removing the apron and bonnet.

But then we noticed that one bolt was unlike the others. As is common with TRs, the caged nut had seized and was spinning in the cage. It was obvious that Petey had never removed this wing. What else was amiss?

Next, we examined the battery box. Always a corroded mess on any Triumph, this one had been poorly and unprofessionally repaired: poorly welded and horribly patched with body filler.

More evidence of poorly-applied body filler and poor quality repair.

The bottom edge of the front wing. It should never have been painted in this corroded condition.

Here's what the wing looks like on the inside. That's a very creative repair!

This is a common problem area for TR3s. Here's what fell out that has been trapped there for 50 years. That's a Bic ink pen in all that dirt and rust; no idea how that got in there.

The remainder of the car was just as bad. We needed to use the body saw to cut four bolts to free the rear wings, but the wings themselves were in excellent condition.

Completely stripped of all wings, doors, hood, boot and apron, with all the corrosion, body filler and poor repairs this TR is not a pretty sight.

Here's where we stored the body parts for now. We lag-bolted a chain to the rafters, fabricated some hooks from 1/8-inch wire and hung the parts from the chain.

As the truth unfolded throughout the disassembly process, it was clear that this car was far from the "just re-assemble" state we initially assumed. All that body filler needs to go so we can see what's underneath. The front wings need to be replaced. The entire battery box needs to be replaced. There are many areas that need some corrosion repair, metalworking and better fitment.

Fortunately, the mechanicals are in excellent shape. Since the car will need a total re-spray, I'm considering a change to British Racing Green. That color will still compliment the already-chosen light-brown interior.

[Entry #54]

01-16-2015 07:37 PM TR3 Body Cart
Today, Matt and I built a body cart for the TR3.

I modified a design used by TR4nut I found in this thread.

[Entry #53]

01-12-2015 04:29 PM The TR3 has made it to the shop!
Hurray!

The next step is to build a body cart and lift the body off the frame to begin the re-assembly.

[Entry #52]

12-30-2014 10:21 AM Milwaukee 28V Rehab
I gave myself a Christmas present. I really like my V28 Milwaukee tools because the 28-volt battery provides extra power that the 18-volt just can't deliver. These are really for my regular job in the summer where I need that kind of power, but no sense letting them sit idle over the winter.

Unfortunately, the tools themselves are expensive. The hammer-drill/screwdriver alone retails for $400.00. There are many times when it would have been nice to have had two of them (to keep from constantly changing bits), but the cost kept me away.

While perusing eBay for some 28V lights for the Milwaukee work light, I spotted an opportunity and took it. A brand new drill for $165 from a reputable seller.

This is what a dozen years of patina; looks like.

I dismantled the 28V Milwaukee to see what could be done about its looseness due to wear. There was ONE SCREW that would not come out? Why is there always just ONE SCREW? Anyway, I drilled that out (it's a T-10, M3.5x22mm), removed the motor and transmission, cleaned it up and re-assembled it.

It's still a little loose, but it's not the transmission/gearcase. The plastic handle/case is worn slightly; it's called the Service Housing and is available for $12.25 with one business day shipping.

[Entry #51]

12-26-2014 07:59 PM The Desoto starts and runs!
Here's a video of the startup of the '54 Desoto after a 4-month wait for a refurbished starter solenoid. It was sent by the local repair shop to RB'sObsolete Parts in Ohio who sent it on to a re-build facility who WENT OUT OF BUSINESS. We were fortunate to finally get this part back. It's now installed in the car, which started the first time! Now for a road test this weekend since the customer will be coming to town in mid-January and can take delivery of the car.

Here's the link to the video; you'll need to cut and paste to see it since the Garage Journal doesn't facilitate embedding HTML links.

http://youtu.be/vR4hXWU60xU

[Entry #50]

Pages (11): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11