Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: hduff's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View hduff's profile Entries: 76
Views: 7328
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (16): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

08-30-2015 10:14 AM A New "Tool"
You can't wrench all the time.

I picked up a 52 inch LCD for $250 and a PS3 for $95 so with the games I already own plus Netflix, I can have some entertaining down time while waiting for parts to arrive.

[Entry #76]

08-22-2015 12:29 PM When It Rains, It Pours . . .
I got the convertible all pepped for the StreetRodder Road Tour to the Woodward Avenues Dream Cruise.

On the trip there, we got 100 miles, refueled, and the car would not start: bad starter switch on the column.

That was repaired and the next day, we didn't get out of our neighborhood when the electric fuel pump quit.

Switching to the coupe, we arrived in Dearborn, MI, hit a pothole and needed to replace some tires.

Picked the car up the next day and then couldn't leave the parking lot of the hotel. The electric fuel pump went bad in the coupe.

Two cars, each carried on rollbacks twice apiece over four days.

Still, we had a great time at the Dream Cruise and enjoyed seeing old friends again. The trip home was uneventful, but the coupe developed some brake problems just after arriving home. At least I was able to drive it to the shop without having to have it towed.

I hope we can get all the cars running soon.

It's always an adventure.

[Entry #75]

08-06-2015 06:54 PM Eagle Equipment lift malfunction
While working today with the car on the lift, it was time to raise it a little and I heard a terrible noise. This is what caused the noise.

I was fortunate that the car was only about 5 feet off the ground. I placed a jackstand under the lift and lowered all four corners onto the safety stops. Supporting that corner with the big floor jack, my helper and I managed to get the car safely on the ground and off the lift.

I purchased the lift new in 2008 and until recently have only used it to store cars.

All the other cables appear undamaged, but a call to the manufacturer indicates that they may no longer carry the cables as replacement parts, so I'll need to source someone local that can fabricate a replacement. I hope Eagle will share the specs of the cable if they cannot provide the part.

[Entry #74]

08-05-2015 12:44 PM Streetrodder Road Tour
My wife and I are taking the convertible on the Tour next week, so I'm doing some last minute things to get ready. I had the A/C serviced today and now I'm getting ready to pull the dash to fix a few loose wire gremlins.

[Entry #73]

07-09-2015 01:51 PM 54 Desoto Schadenfreude
Some of you may recall the paint problems that occurred on a friend's '54 DeSoto Firedome that has appeared in my Journal. In summary, they paid a local shop (who now has a TV reality show on the Velocity channel, FantomWorks) to repaint the car. The body was soda blasted and not properly neutralized so rust bubbled under the paint. This was verified not only by two paint shops, but by the FantomWorks paint shop manager. The shop owner vehemently denied any responsibility and angrily invited my friends to get the car out of his shop and get in line to sue him.

So this appeared in the local paper the other day:
http://hamptonroads.com/2015/07/fant...s-wounded-vets

In summary, the owner appears to have fallen very short of his representations concerning his car-related non-profit organization and our state senator has called for an IRS investigation into the matter.

Given his behavior toward my friends, I'm not surprised at all by this turn of events. I hope a quick investigation clears this up.

[Entry #72]

Pages (16): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16