Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: hduff's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View hduff's profile Entries: 87
Views: 9050
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (18): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

08-26-2016 04:28 PM Final Assembly
We are in final assembly of the SBC in the 39 Plymouth. Lot's of issues at the very end. There was no clearance for the mechanical fuel pump, so we had to go electric. The return for the P/S pump interfered with the frame, so we had to slice off some of the tubing. A slight interference with the blower snout and the water temp housing, and so on.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #87]

08-18-2016 04:29 PM More new parts required.
So in dissembling the front rotors to replace the studs with linger, safe ones. we discovered that the wheel bearings were starting to show signs of failure and the rotors had worn unevenly, so new rotors, bearing, grease seals and pads.

We also cleaned up the wheels and took them across the street to be balanced. The anti-roll bar was installed with new bushings and end links, so when the longer studs arrive tomorrow, we can finally make the car a roller. Then there are some underbody items to attend to. Them final assembly of the engine and we are well on our way ti finishing the project.

UPDATE: All parts have arrived and we should have a roller by tomorrow!

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #86]

08-18-2016 10:08 AM Can you see it?
This is a front clip from a '74 Camaro. I've had the car for a while, but have not driven it much and am doing some work on it (swapping engines, rebuilding a worn-out transmission and new suspension bushings and ball joints), but I've never thought about this until I look at the wheel on the front hub.

Needless to say, I have some longer Moroso wheel stud on order and this critical safety item will be set right.

UPDATE: New studs installed. We had to trim them slightly. I feel safer already.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #85]

08-10-2016 01:20 PM Front Suspension
We are making progress on refurbishing the front suspension (from a '74 Camaro donor no less).

The upper arms get new bushings and upper ball joints. Matt and I replaced the lower ball joints last summer.

The last photos show the elongation of the radiator mount holes so the rad can be moved forward some.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #84]

08-06-2016 02:03 PM Axle Studs
We determined that the differential is a 7-1/4" unit used on Chrysler J-bodies for slant six and small V-8s, although the Dodge Mirada (1980-93) it comes from did offer a 318 and 360 V-8, but those engines were only rated at about 220 HP. But the builder of this hotrod did install up-rated and longer Moroso wheel studs, since we had to replace two of them.

We're waiting on some front suspension parts to be delivered to the Boys of Pep. We determined that the front clip is from a Gen 2 Camaro.

In the meantime, we have modified the radiator mounts to allow it to be mover more forward, hoping that we can get enough room for a puller fan instead of a pusher. The 2500 CFM Flex-A=Lite #116 can be set up either way.

We are still debating about using a remote mount transmission cooler with a fan due to limited space in front of the radiator.

UPDATE: I purchased a remote-mount trans cooler. I'll get some hydraulic hoses fabbed up at the local NAPA. You should never use fuel-line hose for the transmission since they are not rated for that kind of service.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #83]

Pages (18): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18