Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: hduff's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View hduff's profile Entries: 67
Views: 6190
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (14): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

04-01-2015 01:01 AM Back From The Strippers
Matt and I retrieved the body from the strippers and it shows some interesting things.

These are professionally repaired outer sills. A patch was welded over the top of the rotten metal and heavily slathered with body filler. I do have a set of outer sills to make a proper repair.

Here are the inner fenders. Obviously there was a front-end collision, but is something missing from this TR3A?

Here's a comparison photo courtesy of the legendary TeriAnn.

It looks like I could use a front clip of the inner wings as opposed to metalworking that awful, awful mess. No patch panels are available and the entire inner wing panels cost $1000 each.

Here's the passenger bulkhead. Obviously some damage and misalignment It's easy to see why the right front fender did not line up well.

Thankfully, that's all the significant damage that was professionally repaired. Hopefully, two amateurs can do a better job.

[Entry #67]

03-28-2015 04:12 PM Parts Made Like New

Once cleaned, the suspension parts are media blasted and painted. We have all new ball joints, bushings and rubber seals for the front and rear suspension. The only question now is the condition of the steering box, but we'll wait until the rest of the suspension is installed before we disassemble it.

[Entry #66]

03-23-2015 05:16 PM Zep Parts Washer
Courtesy of Craig's List: a new addition to the shop, a very old Zep Parts Washer.

It just needs a new filter and it will pump Varsol like new.

Update: The new filter arrived and it works great! When the Safety-Kleen guy next services the business next door, maybe I can get him to drain and refill the tank with fresh solvent.

[Entry #65]

03-18-2015 05:46 PM Sorting Through the Parts Inventory

The chassis for TS33111L is in its temporary resting place awaiting its eventual AMBRO body. All the suspension bushings are perished.

The suspension pieces for TS63304L. They all need cleaning, painting and new bushings prior to re-assembly. The frame should be back from the blasters by week's end.

This box contains 5 pair of TR3 speedometers/tachometers plus one pair for TR4 as well as two complete gauge clusters and spare gauges. I've found three extra temp gauges so far.

The heater for TS74076L.

Mostly parts for TS74076L.

A few jacks and a crankshaft pulley from TS43923L.

Spare generators and exhaust manifolds.

Spare starters; one is needed for TS63304L.

Transmissions for TS63304L, TS74076L and TS43923L.

A coffee can full of TR3 hinges. These look nice, there's another can somewhere with the hinges that don't look nice, plus a brand-new set for TS63304L.

One new grill, some old grills, a new muffler (no resonator found yet) and a special TR3 grill, far too corroded to restore, but good for a pattern.

Overview of the back of the Triumph parts room.

That's TS561L on top, TS74076L on the bottom.

An overview of the bench being used for parts sorting.

The body tub for TS63304L will be picked up from the strippers on Sunday. The frame for it should be done tomorrow.

[Entry #64]

03-14-2015 07:16 PM Off To The Stripper

Co-conspirator Matt and I got the body off the frame and onto the body cart.

And then that was placed on the trailer we borrowed (and needed to repair). We leave tomorrow morning for the stripper's in Burlington, NC. I wish there was one closer to home.

[Entry #63]

Pages (14): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14