-- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Project Journals: hduff's Journal
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

View hduff's profile Entries: 89
Views: 9694
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (18): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

10-16-2016 09:24 AM Trouble Never Sleeps
Instead of taking the '39, we took the '37 to Nashville, TN to begin the Streetrodder Road Tour.

Arriving Friday night, we reunited with some old friends and made a few new ones.

The first stop on the tour Saturday morning was to be the set of Stacey David's "Gears". On the way, we lost the right front wheel bearing, which we were unable to have repaired until Friday, so we wound up doing the tourist thing in Nashville, a wonderful city.

Having missed the Tour, we headed home with no further problems and stopped to see an old friend at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia for a few days.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #89]

09-07-2016 11:06 AM Trouble, trouble everywhere, but we still have fun . . .
We did the the engine started and the timing set (and the engine sounded awesome), but we encountered an intermittent electrical issue that would have taken too long to track down given the time I had available, so we switched focus to the '37 coupe and took that on the trip."

However, as soon as we arrived in Nashville, I lost the right front wheel bearing. The spindle was too roughed up to re-use and the timing of a weekend combined with the Labor Day holiday meant that a new spindle (which I could not source locally) will not reach the mechanic until Wednesday afternoon.

The wiring harness for the '39 will be replaced when we return as well as installing an in-tank fuel pump rather that the external, noisy electric pump (no room for a mechanical pump).

BTW, the blown SBC sounds AWESOME.

[Entry #88]

08-26-2016 04:28 PM Final Assembly
We are in final assembly of the SBC in the 39 Plymouth. Lot's of issues at the very end. There was no clearance for the mechanical fuel pump, so we had to go electric. The return for the P/S pump interfered with the frame, so we had to slice off some of the tubing. A slight interference with the blower snout and the water temp housing, and so on.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #87]

08-18-2016 04:29 PM More new parts required.
So in dissembling the front rotors to replace the studs with linger, safe ones. we discovered that the wheel bearings were starting to show signs of failure and the rotors had worn unevenly, so new rotors, bearing, grease seals and pads.

We also cleaned up the wheels and took them across the street to be balanced. The anti-roll bar was installed with new bushings and end links, so when the longer studs arrive tomorrow, we can finally make the car a roller. Then there are some underbody items to attend to. Them final assembly of the engine and we are well on our way ti finishing the project.

UPDATE: All parts have arrived and we should have a roller by tomorrow!

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #86]

08-18-2016 10:08 AM Can you see it?
This is a front clip from a '74 Camaro. I've had the car for a while, but have not driven it much and am doing some work on it (swapping engines, rebuilding a worn-out transmission and new suspension bushings and ball joints), but I've never thought about this until I look at the wheel on the front hub.

Needless to say, I have some longer Moroso wheel stud on order and this critical safety item will be set right.

UPDATE: New studs installed. We had to trim them slightly. I feel safer already.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #85]

Pages (18): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18