Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: hduff's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View hduff's profile Entries: 81
Views: 8756
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (17): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

07-25-2016 06:27 PM Making Progress on SBC Re-build
Small block prepped. Cam installed. Crank installed. I'm working on the pistons now, putting the rings on them. I'll probably wait until my co-conspirator shows up to install them in the block.

I'm not in a big rush because the 700-R4 transmission is not yet back from the re-builder.

[Entry #81]

07-09-2016 06:16 PM Moving on . . .
I need to swap out the 454 BBC in my wife's '39 Plymouth convertible with 350 SBC and have the 700-R4 transmission re-built and all done for a mid-August trip to the Jalopy Jam Up in Canada and then the Streetrodder Road tour from Nashville to Pigeon Forge beginning Labor Day Weekend.

The past week has been to process of marshaling parts and tools. The machine work on the block and heads has been done for 10 years. Luckily, I pickled it well when I put it in storage, so prep was easy. I'm short a few oil galley plugs and have a question about a few, so I'll post pics in the engine forum.

The last work I need to complete before final assembly is port-matching the Weiand 142 blower manifold to the FelPro gaskets, the heard were done 10 years ago. I've had the blower, manifold and boost referenced Holly carb for 10 years, buying them brand new in a package for $1300; they cost easily twice that now.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #80]

03-31-2016 06:00 PM Fixed
Finally fixed. Thanks to Jesse's Rod Shop in Cheaspeake, VA for the work and Kyle Yokum for the new fender. Kyle had to create a new fender from scratch since the old one was so fragile, it resisted any attempts at repairs.

I need to do some work on the brakes (that's what caused the accident) and then it's back on the road, just in time for summer.

[Entry #79]

02-24-2016 06:49 PM UPDATE
Repair work is almost completed. A new fender had to be made from scratch as the old one was too fragile to repair. A few minor fitment and paint issues remain. I suspect that the bill will be just north of $12,000. The insurance company is gonna hate me.

[Entry #78]

09-06-2015 04:38 PM Work Has Hit A Wall
Literally.

When moving the coupe, the brakes failed and a cinder block wall was required to stop the car's movement with predictable results. No one was injured. It does appear that due to the low speed, there is not any frame or mechanical damage.

The Briz bumper is a total loss. They are kind enough to offer a discount on replacement bumpers.

The driver's side fender is . . ., well, it looks worse that it probably is. I'll take it to be media blasted and then begin the metal work. I've some experience doing this kind of repair; I suppose I'll learn a wealth of experience on this one.

I do have insurance and am debating whether or not to file a claim. The labor for this repair is extensive and simple replacement parts for a widened metal fender for a '37 Plymouth are ... nonexistent. I believe that The Plymouth Doctor sells some body parts and there's a rod shop in Ohio that sells body repair panels plus widened fiberglass fenders; I'd rather not go that route.

UPDATE:
Due to illness, the mechanical repairs (Radiator fan and wiring. P/S pump and brakes) have been delayed. I have located a local shop that is qualified to do the repairs and should be acceptable to the insurance company.

[Entry #77]

Pages (17): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17