Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: hduff's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View hduff's profile Entries: 31
Views: 3290
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

09-11-2014 06:20 PM Craft Room Update
Just an update on the room remodel for my wife's crafts room. I've taken some ribbing from my buddies for doing this, but we've gotten along fine for the past 43 years and she's always supported my car interests, so I'm glad to do this for her.


  [Entry #31]

09-07-2014 05:25 PM A Pause in Car Work
The problems with the '54 Desoto are never ending. When re-installing the starter, I noticed that the terminal post was loose on the housing. I took it to the local starter repair shop and he has had to send it to a specialist to be re-built since no replacement part was able to be located. That was six weeks ago.

So I resumed work on my wife's '39 Plymouth and got the shifter installed and adjusted.


But the car would not start; the starter would not turn over. It seems the terminal for the solenoid had broken, so that's off to the alternator/starter shop to be repaired. At least that was just week before last.

In the meantime. I added some outside security lights. there were none before and there have been some burglaries in the area, plus I already had the lights so it just made sense.



And I've added some additional storage shelves since I've had the spare time.



As well, I'm renovating the old office space to serve as a crafts room for my wife and her cousin. The restroom now has a working light, but still lacks a door. Not a problem for me.


There are many. many projects left to do for the shop itself, but I can't wait to get back to the cars.

  [Entry #30]

08-23-2014 07:55 PM Lift Footings
I just found these photos on an older laptop I was installing Linux on to give to a friend.
They show the installation of two concrete pads for the Benwill lift back in November 2011.

When we first tried to install the lift, it was discovered that the existing concrete floor was only two inches thick, not enough for the lift to be safely installed.

So we dug two 4'x4'x2' holes, tied the footing into the existing floor with rebar and poured 3,000 psi concrete. The gray material is clay; the lighter material is sand.


Here's the initial effort to bolt the lift to the floor. You can see the damaged concrete where the bolts pulled loose from the floor when we simply rocked the columns. At the time (mid-60s), they probably poured the least and cheapest concrete they could.








It has served me well so far.

  [Entry #29]

08-22-2014 01:54 PM Taking care of the daughter's car


The guys finished the seats today. Wow, just like new. We replaced filters, changed fluids, put new wipers on it and fixed a few other problems while we had it and filled up the tank. I mean, it's my daughter's truck and she can't afford a new one.

I suppose my wife's car will need to wait until next week . . .

  [Entry #28]

08-22-2014 12:04 AM A little help is a great thing
For the past two weeks, I've had the benefit of extra help in the shop, son-in-law Matthew and nephew CJ, so I have been able to get to some long-neglected jobs.


First, we added an additional fluorescent light to the main work bay. That will make it easier to work without a drop-light.



Next, we installed three exterior security lights. i had prepped them almost two years ago, but they go about 10 feet high and it takes two people to install them. The first one, cousin Daniel helped with (he helped with most of the interior lights), but he had to go back to school). CJ was the inside man and Matt climbed the ladder outside.


Earlier, Matt helped me rebuild the alternator for the '37 coupe and install a new battery, the guys got the Kikker 5150 motorcycle running (it's been in storage for 5 years). they rode it around the parking lot since I've never registered it (I have the MSO). It has an oil leak from a shaft seal. The next owner can fix that; now that it runs, it's up for sale.


Matt and CJ helped fix the leak in the '99 S-10 fuel tank; someone had used the wrong size O-ring when they replaced the fuel pump. We fixed their mistake. Hopefully. this is the last repair for the pickup fo a while, but the state inspection is due next month . . . so we'll see.


Just when we thought we could move on to some of the older projects, my daughter showed up in her Isuzu Trooper. The driver's seat springs had failed.


So we worked on that. I got replacement springs from a furniture upholstery shop and glued the ratty seat foam back together (Pick and Pull did not have a seat; the bottom foam is the same for both sides -- would have been an easy fix). We serviced the vehicle while we had it in the bay. We also cleaned the interior while we had the seats out and found $30 in rolled quarters, so we made money today! The seats go back in tomorrow.


Finally, as we were ready to leave today, Matt's starter quit, so we put a 5-gallon bucket in the Trooper to drive it out (seats not finished yet) and pulled his car into the bay. Breakdown to completed repair was only an hour. It's sooo handy to have a shop.

It's been a busy few weeks with plenty of projects left to do, but I feel good about the progress we've made. Having a large family in the area helps a lot.

  [Entry #27]

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.