Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: dmh_sr's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View dmh_sr's profile Entries: 33
Views: 14108
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

06-20-2014 07:31 PM Top Wood, Vinyl Top Trim and Base
We assembled the Top Wood Kit and installed it through the hole in the roof by carefully tilting and lowering into place. Then we bolted the wood assembly to the internal body brackets and attached the body sheet metal edge around the roof hole perimeter with wood screws.

Bought four 72 inch sticks of reproduction 1932 Ford vinyl top aluminum top trim (one for practice). Made a paper pattern of the opening and a wood buck to bend the vinyl top trim to fit the car.

These cars came with chicken wire over the wood as a base, a layer of cloth, a layer of cotton batting and then the colonial grain vinyl on the top. But they weren't intended to go 70 mph on the highway, which makes the top balloon and eventually leak. Instead of chicken wire, we used a sheet of water resistant 1/8 inch Masonite (shower board) for the vinyl top base. Next will be padding, vinyl and trim. (ignore date stamps on pics)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #33]

06-20-2014 07:00 PM Restored the 1932 Texas Plates
Was given a couple 1932 Texas License Plates that needed a little love. We filled a couple nail holes, tapped out a couple dents and bead blasted them. Next they were primed and block sanded multiple times, painted several coats of white and 2 light coats of Hunter Green (close to the original color). The Green was then block sanded off all the high spots to bring out the white lettering, symbols and bead surround. We finished with a couple coats of clear. Forgot to set the camera date stamp, disregard the dates :-)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #32]

06-20-2013 09:53 AM Wiring, Heat / Defrost / Air Conditionin, Dash & Steering Column
Thanks to a lot of help from my wife we finished up the all the wiring, hooking up the heat/AC, installing the dash and steering column.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #31]

11-05-2012 05:48 PM Been a long time since I . . . rock & rolled . . or updated my project journal.
The under dash emergency brake ended up in the way of the air conditioning vent, so we removed it and installed a floor mounted hand brake. We finished all the chassis work, installed frame webbing and the chassis was ready to roll.

We finished work on the body, sprayed on a fresh coat of flat black paint and set the body up on stands.

Using a team of highly paid professionals (wife, son and daughter), we rolled the chassis under the body and re-united the body and frame.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #30]

06-27-2012 12:12 PM LA Roadster show
Took some time off for a trip to the LA Roadster show with my son Danny. This was our 4th year and my cousin David came down from Northern California again to meet us. This year he brought both his sons and his son-in-law. We had a great time at the show as well as going to the beach and visiting a few hot rod shops (SoCal Speed Shop, Waldens, Barris Kustom Shop - builder of the Batmobile, General Lee, Munster Koach, Green Hornet, Beverly Hillbillies, Monkee Mobile, etc.) and a few other places.

Donít know how much longer my son will be willing to hang out with the old man, so I gotta enjoy the time while it lasts.

These pictures are fun to look at. I took one picture the 1st year we went to the LA Roadster show together (he was 12 years old). And the other this year when we saw the same car (heís now 15). Our car will look similar and we hope to drive it there next year.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #29]

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7