Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: cacsmret's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View cacsmret's profile Entries: 5
Views: 926
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

11-22-2008 07:15 PM Another year gone by...
Well, another year is about gone and the Caddi project is still sitting here. I've been picking up parts on Ebay and Craigslist but the Post Office is still taking all my time. I've been able to pick up a nice rust free right front fender, and a Mark VIII 2 speed electric fan. I also scored a nice dash pad, however, I've been thinking about taking the leather seats from the donor Eldorado and building my own console and dash using perhaps Dakota digital guages. Still in the planning stages....

[Entry #5]

01-06-2008 11:44 PM Been awhile, but 500 c.i.!!!!!!!
The Post Office has taken the last two years of my life, however the Caddi project is not forgotten! Researching Craigslist.com recently, I came across a '70 Eldorado 500 c.i. engine for sale. I have to thank Michael Willett from Seattle for selling me this stump puller. He had three, of which I purchased the 2nd engine. As a result of this acquisition, I'm now going to transplant the 500 c.i. Caddi into the '67 Deville Convertible.... ahh what to do with the Northstar.... seems they fit nicely into a Pontiac Fiero....perhaps the next project car... just imagine the power to weight ratio with a mid-engine car... got to be fun! I've even thought about the Northstar and a 700-R into the Mustang...That should ire some Ford Fans, replacing the 99 hp stock 250 engine!!! Could be some fun as well...what a sleeper!

The great thing about the new acquisition, is that other than the oil pan, the engine is complete! The 850 cfm carb, the high output alternator, all the pulleys and brackets along with the radiator hoses are included with this engine. This is the last year of the smog-free motor, rated at an amazing 550 foot pounds of torque and 400 hp, STOCK! Truck and RV guys drool over this motor. Just think, a brand new 2008 Viper V-10, with 10 cylinders is rated at 8.4 liters; the Caddi back in 1970 with 8 cylinders is rated at 8.2 liters!!!! Got to make an American proud with this home-grown powerplant! It's even lighter than a big block chevy, with more torque!

[Entry #4]

04-23-2006 02:32 PM Donor Northstar found
After searching for a donor Caddi for a Northstar and interior, I finally found one here in the state. It's a '94 Eldorado which slammed rear first into a tree. The impact didn't pop the air bags. This is my baseline for the '67 Caddi convertible. I will graft as much of the donor car as I can to upgrade the '67. More to follow.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

01-14-2006 02:17 PM '67 Deville Photo's
Here are the photos of the Cadillac when I picked it up. The previous owner said it sat in this spot for more than 10 years. The Mustang is the bribe to appease the wife.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #2]

01-13-2006 03:18 PM 67 Deville Convertible
I'm about to embark on a new project; a 67 Caddi convertible. I picked it up on ebay with a companion 4 door hardtop for $660. The wife leery of me starting a new project, questioned my commitment to the finished project. To appease her, I picked up a 72 Mustang convertible on ebay to keep her happy. I just sold my '69 big block Camaro, which I owned for 22 years, which funded the two convertibles.

My plan for the Deville is to find a late model Caddi with a Northstar V8 as a donor, and swap the Northstar into the 67. I will also attempt to graft the late model leather interior into the 67 as well.

I've started to disassemble the 67 convertible in the garage, and I'm very happy that there is little rust on the car. It sat outside for at least 10 years according to the previous owner. The plates on the car show a registration of 1979.

When I got the car home from picking it up just north of Spokane, WA, I threw a battery in it, oiled the cylinders, primed the carb, and amazingly it started up. I drove it into the garage, however not without some drama. The water pump shaft snapped off with the strain of the power steering pump, and it sent the fan into the radiator.

I'll load some before pictures in a few days.

[Entry #1]