Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: vintage56's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View vintage56's profile Entries: 4
Views: 1104
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

10-10-2004 08:03 PM and this should be it...for now
Here we go. Down to the foundation. When I took the frame to the sandblaster, he told me it was the nicest straightest truck frame he'd ever cleaned up. He said as the junk came off he just ooh'ed at the beauty it uncovered. This picture obviously is prior to the stripping.

Now comes the hard part. Money and time and perseverance to get her back on the road. I'm getting more and more support from the wife and hope to be able to get back on the project soon. Nonetheless, I'll get some more recent photos posted and some pics of parts and pieces I'm collecting for a club-cab stretch project.

Through the cab in the background of the first picture is my kid brother and his first car. A '54 Bel-Air. He sold that car and fetched a '64 or '65 Falcon 2 door post, after that, a Falcon wagon of the same vintage and later a Falcon econoline van. Following the sale of his 2 door post he acquired a Porsche 944, then inherited mom's '97 Mustang. After selling all of the above minus the Falcon van, he's now sporting a '91 Corvette.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #4]

10-10-2004 08:00 PM same as prior post
Once I got the truck to this condition, I found a very poorly installed motor mount crossmember conglomeration. I'm not sure of the donor X-member, but they had welded motormounts to it and had some round bar stock welded across in some funny way. That was the least of it, the crossmember only lapped the frame rails by 1/16" on either sides and the welds had zero penetration. If I as a 16 y/o kid (though not restricted to age) would have dropped the clutch to burn out, the torque would have wrenched the motor right out onto the axle!

I also discovered a lot of hidden rust out in the typical places. Cab corners, leading upper edge of front fenders, leading lower edge of rear fenders. So the tear down continues...

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

10-10-2004 07:58 PM old pics...
Man oh man, memories. The first is the truck as it was when my ol' man bought it for me when I was about 13. By the age of 15 I had read enough truck magazines to be a little braver in my experiments on the truck as are evidenced in the next two photos. As the story goes, all the family was out to the house for my 15th birthday and Uncles James wanted to go look at my "ol' Ford pickup." We got it out and he rode shot gun while we took her for a spin down the dirt road, y'know the feelin'. Fifteen years old, window rolled down, wind whipping through the cab, High in the saddle, like. When we got home we popped the hood and checked her over. Air filter, the new tune up parts, plug wires, cap, coil, pulled the dip stick... I thought old motor oil was black, not a foamy grey?

Uncle James explained the process of water in your lubrication system and what to suspect. So what was the logic to this magazine truck wanna-be kid? The truck's down with a compromised head gasket, let's do a frame-off! Not a bad plan if I had kept my eyes on the old truck and not the girls my age. Dating and hanging out consumed all of my modest (read: virtually non-existent) income. Then came college... and the poor truck sat at home in the cozy shop.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #2]

10-09-2004 05:47 PM Entry numero uno!
Heyas... Guess I may be jumping the gun a little bit but oh well. No pics as of this post but I should be getting some soon. Especially since I let the wife buy that way expensive camera she wanted. Let's just hope her photography ambitions realize full fruition. Pardon my digression...
The project, a 1956 F-100. The condition, down to the frame. The plan, (short-term) make it a cruiser asap, (long-term) make it a show quality truck.

Also, I'm hunting for a 1956 Ford C-500 thru C-900 cabover engine truck to use to haul the F-100 to and from shows. I'm most interested in the body and sheet metal pieces, but if you spot one like those in my photo album, holler at me.
Shhhh.... I'm huntin' a pwojet!

[Entry #1]