Next he cooled down the shaft and weld slowly. After he dried it off he sanded it by spinning it while twisting sand paper around it.
Then while spinning the shaft he sprayed it black with fast drying paint.
Finally he installed the yoke for the Automatic transmission.
Unfortunately the Camaro diff is an inch longer than the old axle. This caused the drive shaft to be too tight. So off we went on Friday morning to find someone to shorten it.
The guy we found did an amazing job.
The first pic he is balancing the shaft before welding the end on.
The second pic he is getting ready to do the weld. He spun the shaft very slowly and created a perfect weld as seen in the 3rd shot.
I decided to slow down and fix the parts right while I had them off the truck. I sand blasted several parts including the rusty brake drums. I then painted them and let them dry for several hours. You can see the difference before and after with the drums.
After the axle was completely wire brushed and the perches welded on, I washed and then painted it with a rust-to-primer paint from Duplicolor. After it dried completely I painted it with a semi-gloss black. Then it was time to install.