Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: BodymanDave's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View BodymanDave's profile Entries: 3
Views: 1262
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

10-30-2004 01:45 PM 48 Grille Swap 3
Now that it's all welded up time for some dough. I smeared a coat of USC brand"Icing" which is a polyester filler on the metal first. It has killer adhesion. Then followed up with regular bondo. Cheese grated the filler then sanded with 40# then 80# sandpaper using a sanding block of course. Because of the very curvey area I used a tube of chalking (the plastic ones) for a sanding block. They work great in curved areas. Let the mud dry overnight, then shot on a couple coats of high-build urethane primer. Next I rebolted the grille in place to check the fit. I will check the fit several times.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

10-30-2004 01:34 PM 48 Grille Swap 2
In these photos you can see the metal lip I had to weld around the grille to hold the heavy bugger in place. I only had to cut a little metal away from the original grille opening to get the grille to sit correctly. Once I got the grille positioned I made a lip all the way around with 1/8th inch rod and a piece of 3/4 inch wide flat stock. In this lip I drilled the mounting holes. Next you see the sheet metal being welded to the body of the car and the "lip" that I welded in. I had to do the sheet metal in pieces but they all got welded solid.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #2]

10-30-2004 01:22 PM 48 Chevy Delivery Grille Swap
I restored a 48 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery a few years ago and now the owner wants a 47 Oldsmobile grille put on the car.His wife is against the change but we don't care what she says....so here she goes!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #1]