Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: modas's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View modas's profile Entries: 79
Views: 18281
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (16): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

07-14-2014 05:56 PM Trunk Part 17:
So, I did a little bit a digging. Unfortunately, the trunk of my car was so rotted out, there wasn't enought metal left in many area to show me how everything fits together. What I found was the trunk panel that I bought 4-5 years ago, was pretty generic to the car and has stuff to fit other models/years and requires pretty extensive "fixing" to make it work.

So, with a little more digging I found a trunk panel that dynacorn industries makes that looks almost like the original. So I ordered it. Wow, what a panel... This thing is HEAVY compared to the other one I got earlier. It came with the rear body brace already welded to it, plus the tank strap holders also welded to the back side of the trunk well. Its a beautiful piece compared to what I currently have. Unfortunately, I STILL have to cut it in order to get it into the car. Although, from what I learned on the other piece, I can think I can get away with just cutting a little bit instead of the hole bloody thing.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #79]

07-14-2014 05:42 PM Long break - I'm back Trunk Part 16
Well, after a long break from working on the car due to the interruption of real life, I went to a local car show a couple of weeks ago and decided I need to MAKE time or the car will never leave the shop. So, I've hit the trunk replacement again. Its hard to remember where I left off after so long....

I did do some work, here and there, but never bothered to post pictures as there wasn't any real progress...

PIC 1: Passenger side with the truck panel in place. I had to cut it into three sections to get it into the truck since the quarters are still on. Nothing like cutting up a 400 dollar panel
PIC 2: Drivers side shot.....
PIC 3: shot of the fit between the quarter filler panel, rear body brace and the trunk panel. Not a stellar fit. The drivers side looks pretty much the same.
PIC 4: Passenger side tail lamp panel. This panel fits pretty well in the quarter, but horribly with the trunk. It's not even close
PIC 5: I got everything clamped in, thought it looked ok other than the gaps which I semi-expected with repro sheet metal until I tried closing the deck lid. Something is definitely NOT right
PIC 6: Another shot of the deck lid hitting the tail panel.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #78]

03-08-2010 08:35 PM Trunk Part 15: tail lamp panels (3)
Tonight I continued on the disassembly of the rear end of the Impala. The goal was to finish cutting out the spot weld on the passenger side rear quarter (in the wheelhouse) and get the bottom 1/3 of the quarter cut out. I must be getting good at spot welds, because it only took me about an hour to free the quarter from the car.

PIC 1: Quarter panel has been cut off, exposing a little bit of the wheel house. I found some cancer that wasn't apparent early where the quarter panel drop down panel is welded to the wheelhouse. I'll have to address that before getting to far.

PIC 2: I've cut out the last body mount from the drip channel. The deck lid latch and bumpers were spotted to the drip channel in what seemed to be 100 place. I orginally was planning on drilling the spots out and saving them for later, but the drip channel is so flexible now that there are no supports, I was afraid I would twist the channel out of position and really have a mess. It was less traumatic to just cut them out.

PIC 3: I'm put in the new body brace onto the frame and place the quarter panel drop down in place with a couple of vice grips. Just to see how things are fitting...

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #77]

03-06-2010 10:17 PM Trunk Part 14: Tail lamp panels (2)
I was considering not removing the tail lamp panels entirely and only cutting out the bottom 1/2 of the panel and butt weld that piece in from my replacement panel. I decided, as much as I hate cutting out spot welds, the correct thing to do would be replace the whole panel.

The panel wraps around and is spot welded in about 100 places inside the drip channel of the trunk.

PIC 1: I opted to cut out the tail lamp panel, following the quarter panel and the drip channel, which leaves me more room to work those spot welds.

I use a piece of steel rule (used for making trimming dies) to break any piece of the spot weld that I missed when I drill it out. The steel rule is tempered steel and much harder than the weld and surrounding metal. I fit the rule between the pieces, wack it with a hammer and VOILA, a nice clean break. The rule is only about .040 thick so I have much less distortion using this method over an air chisle or screwdriver

PIC 2: I've gone around the quarter panel with my cutter, and removed the remaining bits of the tail lamp panel. I've also cut the bottom 1/3 of the rear quarter away, which takes the quarter drop down panel with it. Now THAT is a big hole.

PIC 3: With the drivers side panel out, I can continue on cutting spot welds to remove the tail panel. This is a strip of metal that is welded into the drip channel and connects the two tail lamp panels.
What was left of the tail panel, came out without much of a fight, and I proceeded to cut the passenger side tail lamp panel out and cut out the spot welds.

I didn't cut the quarter out on this side, as I still have more spot welds to cut out. The quarter panel on the passenger side is still attached to the wheelhouse.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #76]

03-06-2010 10:07 PM Trunk Part 13 - Tail Lamp Panels
With the box braces complete, I'm now able to start on the final set of body mounts, which are in the rear trunk brace. Attached to this brace, are several components

1. trunk floor
2. quarter panel fillers
3. tail lamp panels
4. tail panel.

PIC 1: driver side panel

PIC 2: passenger side panel

PIC 3: just an overview of the mess I have to fix. I ran a piece 1x1 angle iron across the quarters as a quick brace. Once I remove the trunk brace from the quarters there really isn't much to keep all the metal in place. I figure its good insurance.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #75]

Pages (16): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16