Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Strictly Gravy's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Strictly Gravy's profile Entries: 1
Views: 649
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

06-16-2008 07:38 AM My 72 Power Wagon - The history part 1
I purchased this 1972 Dodge Powerwagon off Ebay back in January of 06. It was about the ugliest thing you could ever imagine as you can see from the pictures. The previous owner's buddy owned a paint shop and wanted to work on his 'fade,' so, the deal was the PO would buy the paint and the buddy would give free labor. Well, what a great idea that was. But, since I needed a truck for short term, I didnt care since it had good running gear, 318, 435 4-speed, ford 9" rear, dana 44 front, and the coveted divorced NP205 transfer case.

When I got up to Rutledge, TN to pick it up, the body was in MUCH better shape than I had thought it was. Well, at least the cab and front clip. The bed was shot to hell on the sides where they did a horrible bondo job and the bed floor top and bottom is about ready to cave. The only rust on the cab and front clip is around the back glass in a few areas, maybe 6" total. For a 1972, as well as the purchase price of $750, it was fantastic. So, I got more than 6 months of use out of it(only needed 2), before the original engine went south. Pretty sure I spun a bearing, or after pulling the head off 2 weeks ago, snapped a rocker. But, more on that later.

So, the truck had been stored at my jobsite with almost no work being done on it. The only thing I did get done was to attempt to use the compressor we have on site to make rough up the paint and get a coat on top of it. So, the one day I get out there to work, it ends up raining for most of the afternoon only after I got the 50 grit and 100 grit done on the paint. This was also my first experience with body work, so I kinda sucked at it. Well, the next week, our compressor was taken to another jobsite, so I had nothing to finish it off with. So, there she sat, out in the blaring hot, summer sun of Georgia, with a painted fender, and a partially roughed up top coat.

The pictures below show the greatness that was the rainbow warrior. Coming up once I get more of my pictures from my home computer, the move, paint, and the move number 2...... Hope yall like it!

-Greg

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #1]