I went to Road Atlanta for another vintage race but just to watch. next season I'll be able to run with this group.
But it turned out my tire supplier was there, and since this was a Vintage event my size and brand tires are the most popular.
So we culled through the trade ins, looks like some only have one heat cycle on them and most look brand new.
Can't argue with $1500 worth of free tires.
As fast as I burn through front tires I sorely needed these.
Since my 30 year old mallory coil was fried I decided to just change everything to new.
Got a Billet Distributor, 6AL box, Blaster 3 coil and new wires.
I'll probably move the coil inside to keep if out of the engine heat, but for testing it fired on the first hit and even idles cold now.
Need to tiddy up the birds nest of wires too.
Not sure when I'll get back on the track, we lost one event due to the track not being ready. Next race is not until November but a few test and tune days are around and I'd like to test the car with this new suspenstion and ignition set up before the next race.
Stayed at the track in the trailer, had a nice Sunrise Sunday morning.
The car ran great at Road Atlanta, except for the tire wear and after 250 miles of hard driving over 3 days in 100 degree heat my coil starting giving up.
But the oil cooler did it's job, water and oil temps stayed below 200 degrees.
After wearing out a brand new set of front tires at Road Atlanta I thought it was time to fix the front end geometry.
So I got my template, cut off the offending metal and relocated the upper A-arm mounts.
Got everything lined back up and ready to test.
Also lowered the front springs about an inch, and the rear about the same.
The Roll center ht change should help cornering speed and the less camber loss in the corners will also help tire wear.
I took the race car to CMP and ran it harder than it's ever been pushed. My oil temps got up to 260 in the pan and climbing so I had to back off and short shift.
Added a cooler this past weekend. Did the best I could with placement. I'd like to have it lower in the valance but until I rework some stuff there just isn't enough room.
It added quite a bit of capacity as well. The system holds 10 quarts now, the extra capacity will help some on it's own.
I also removed the glass headlights, aluminum disc over the low beam and mesh on the inside high beams. Power steering cooler behind the DS, oil cooler behind the PS.