Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: bmar's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View bmar's profile Entries: 58
Views: 7552
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

07-03-2015 05:57 PM The driveshaft
Picked up my driveshaft yesterday from Riebe's Machine Works in Kalispell and they did a great job. The shaft had to be shortened three inches to fit behind the 4l60 transmission. They also installed the u joints and balanced the shaft, which should take care of the slight vibration I would get at about 70 mph.

I am still working on wiring the harness for the LS1 engine, and associated replays, into the Corvette. This vintage of Corvette has a firewall plug that uses tar for waterproofing, which isn't the best way in the world, plus the plug is almost 40 years old. I decided to run the power wires, such as battery, ignition and starter wires, thru the firewall using the opening, and rubber grommet, where the cruise control hose went to the brake switch. I am in the process of installing plugs for all of these wires in case they need to be removed at sometime in the future. I will post some pictures when I am done.

[Entry #58]

06-30-2015 10:16 PM The Fuel pump
Just a few pictures of the hoses for the fuel pump. There is one hose from the gas tank to the fuel filter. Fuel filter to the pump. Pump to the regulator, which has two fittings. One fitting goes back to the fuel tank return line and, finally, the other line runs up to the engine.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #57]

06-30-2015 09:54 PM The water pump saga
The water pump on the LS1 engine has the heater hose connectors coming out of the lower drivers side. This was fine on the Camaro that the engine was removed from but not on a C3 Corvette...it hits the front suspension. The fix, according to the internet postings, is to remove the pressed in fittings, tap out the holes to pipe threads and install 90 degree fittings. Not on my Corvette. When I dropped the engine in, the fittings stopped the process in its tracks. I pulled the fittings and installed the engine and figured I would deal with the problem later. Later turned out to be pulling the water pump and making two new spots for installing the water pump heater hoses. Pictures, and I even remembered my camera.
The brass fitting connects to the throttle body and use to sit on top where the new 90 degree fitting will soon reside.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #56]

06-28-2015 01:21 PM fitment issues
As one would expect, when transplanting an LS1 engine into a 1977 Corvette, there have been a few fitment issues. I installed energy suspension motor mounts, which also required an adapter plate, but the motor mounts and the frame mounts where not even close. I jacked up the engine and removed the plates that Energy suspension said are required, sorry Energy suspension but there was no other choice, and still had to drill the motor mounts to get the bolts installed. Here are some pictures along with the other fitment issue of the shifter bracket that I made yesterday.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #55]

06-27-2015 11:59 PM Shifter linkage from th350 to 4l60e
The shifter lever from the turbo 350 fit right onto the 4l60e transmission, but the mounting bracket was a different story. The bolt holes didn't line up with the new transmission. The fix was to make a plate and drill holes that lined up with the new tranny and weld the old bracket on to this plate. The pictures where taken with a cell phone so the quality is poor. I will take a picture tomorrow of the mounted bracket....good quality if I can remember my camera.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #54]

Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12