Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: bmar's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View bmar's profile Entries: 39
Views: 5549
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (8): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

06-11-2014 09:19 AM Small minded vandals
I went to get my truck last fall from the semi-public and when I started the truck it would hardly run at all. I was able to drive the truck back to the house and get it into the carport. It was hit and miss the entire three mile trip and once I got here the truck refused to start....guess I made someone mad or just malicious mischief. I had to drain the gas tank, purge the fuel line, clean the spark plugs and add injector cleaner to some fresh gas before the truck would run again. This time I will leave the truck here and transport the parts over the the semi-public for sandblasting (yup, gonna try again) and priming. Some pictures of the winter storage.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #39]

09-05-2013 09:03 PM The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry
I got it into my head that I needed to take advantage of my semi-public shop and the more than adequate air compressor and sandblast everything except the cab. I was happily, well as happy as you can be while sandblasting, sandblasting away and started pulling parts from the truck with wild abandon. Before long the only thing still bolted to the frame was the cab. The only problem with this line of thinking is that I was in a semi-public facility and sandblasting is a dirty process. I wore out my welcome, would be the polite, politically correct, term to use.
After about 4 days of constant sandblasting, my thinking at the time being to hurry and finish, the dust covering a lot of the vehicles in the area brought about an end to my sandblasting adventures. I figured it was best to pull up stakes and head back to the carport that now is my only form of shelter and workshop. Most of the parts are still over at the semi-public, but I have not dared to even mention the word sandblast and I need to spray a lot of parts with primer. I have been waiting for the coast to clear, or more correctly... the dust to settle. Oh the trials and tribulations of no longer having a shop of my own.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #38]

07-20-2013 03:25 PM Sandblasting
I bought a cheapo sandblaster from Harbor Freight, that works fine for what I need, and some bags of sand from the local cement yard. the problem that I have is my compressor can't keep up with the demands of sandblasting. Back to my semi-public work shop which has a compressor that is more then up to the task of sandblasting. I put the items I had on a tarp to try and save as much of the sand as possible and also to not leave a pile of sand behind. I spent about 6 hours sand blasting to get the results pictured.
I have a post on here about taking the power window mechs/motors from the Camaro, that I used to sub-frame my truck, and install them in the truck door. This required removing the door skins. The power windows never did work correctly and I finally removed them. Now I need to weld the door skins back on (new ones are about 600 bucks). What a pain in the butt. More pictures

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #37]

07-10-2013 01:40 PM Hotrodders and car guys
I have access to a shop that is semi-public and there are people who wander through that really know little about cars. One in particular is a “know it all” that had to come over and tell me everything I was doing wrong….. The only two things he could really comprehend were having a pretty paint job and putting gas in a car. He couldn’t understand why I was putting the truck together when there was no pretty paint on it. I tried to explain how I wasn’t just “putting it together” and how I had to get the parts to all fit first, but got nowhere. He next started in on how I had installed the fuel filler hose and why didn’t I go straight into the tank? Well I tried that with the green rhinoliner bed and didn’t like having the cap right in the middle of the bed. Besides, this bed has a rail right down the middle. He ended by telling me I would have to run the left side of the truck up on a ramp in order to get the gas in the tank “har har har” (those who can do and those who can't criticize). Well maybe the gas line will be a problem. But if it is, I will figure something else out. Isn’t that what hotrodding is all about?
bmar693@hotmail.com

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #36]

07-10-2013 01:13 PM The truck bed from four different trucks
A lot of welding and even more grinding and the bedsides are done and repairing the rust in the fenders is almost completed.
I made some bed boards from rough cut lumber because the boards from most suppliers was running as high as $400.00 plus shipping. The boards pictured here cost around $100.00.
I had to do a good deal of drilling and cutting to get the 1987 bed to fit on the 1957 frame, but it is all together now.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #35]

Pages (8): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8