Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: rlackey's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View rlackey's profile Entries: 93
Views: 34986
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (19): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

11-27-2009 09:31 AM Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
So, I haven't posted a journal entry in long over 2 years! I miss it... in fact I miss having a project to work on.

[Entry #93]

02-04-2007 01:08 PM The end of the sundowner
It's the 4th Feb 2007 and it feels as though it's been a year since I last posted on hotrodders, let alone my journal.

Sadly for me, I had to ret rid of both my oldies, the '54 Chevy and the '61 Beetle. The '54 at least went to a good home and now sits with another fellow hotrodder 'Neophyte'.

So that's the end of my journal for now, until I get my hands on another project. There's a '48 Cadillac rusting away in the next door neighbours yard... hmm.

[Entry #92]

05-05-2006 02:52 PM You're not going to believe this!
So, it's the 5th May already, and its been at least four months or longer since I last posted, and I am sad to say at least six months since even touching the car.

I also happen to have lost all the design work I have done to this point on the Sundowner when I had to reformat my hard drive. Of course, being the smart guy that I am, I made no backups either.

I am faced with the decision now to either start again with my CAD, which would probably go much faster than the first time seeing as much of the actual engineering behind the design is done, or to abandon the roof and two door conversion and just restore the car as original, and save the retractable plans for a 2dr hardtop in the future.

This is my first complete body off restoration, and I am feeling I may have been a bit too ambitious with this one.

Regardless of the outcome of this decision, I am headed to the UK for six weeks from May 15th, so that's another six weeks I won't be able to do anything.

I am however moving to a new place where again I will be working outdoors, but thankfully there is plenty of room and generally the South African winter up here in Gauteng is dry and clear.

[Entry #91]

12-20-2005 03:11 AM floor and front roof section
The Christmas season is upon us, and I haven't had much time to put into the Sundowner. I had hoped I would be welding and grinding by now, but things are moving a bit slower than expected.

Here is the latest. The floor is now done, although some work still needs to be done to the framing hidden under the floor. I also modelled the framing for front roof section (in blue).

So for now this is it. Tomorrow I am going to Durban for a week or so with Christine and her family. It will be the first time I get to see the ocean since I moved from Cape Town in September.

Needless to say the surfboards are coming with me and I will spend most of my time in the water. I hope the waves co operate, but the forecast looks good.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #90]

12-09-2005 08:46 AM designing the floor
Here are some renderings of the whole model so far and a line drawing. Things are coming together!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #89]

Pages (19): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19