Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: wilke's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View wilke's profile Entries: 219
Views: 70603
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (44): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

05-19-2011 03:11 PM The More Door continued
This car never disappoints. The front passenger door is worse than the rear, and that's saying something. It needed patches on the inner structure on both front and rear, as well as outer patches on front and rear. I'm going to start buying welding wire by the truckload.

I sandblasted the jambs of these doors because they were surface rusted and nasty. I hit them with etch primer which will buy me some time to get enough other parts ready so I can spray a bunch of it with regular filler primer, if it ever stops raining here.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #219]

05-19-2011 03:04 PM Hode de doe.
If restoring cars is fun, and doing the labor is fun, then a 'more-door' has to be twice as much fun! (and expensive). This one has rust in both corners of all four doors! I'm going to be fabricating and welding for the rest of my life!....Meanwhile the 2 door hardtop and convertible just sit waiting....

Here's yet another patch in the making. I should have used the Eastwood heat shield I have, but there was a wave along the bottom of the door anyway, so the whole area gets filled and worked.

Welded in, and bodywork started. I think the front door is going to be worse.....

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #218]

05-19-2011 02:54 PM Passenger Fender again
On the bench vise, I used a really large wheel nut socket, and a 1" socket that fit inside it, to create the recessed area on the bottom of the panel, this is where the lower fender bolt goes through.

I cut the panel slightly large, and then trim it down to size with the grinder along the edges, test fitting it frequently to make sure it's close.

The third photo is the patch panel, finished after several hours, ready to weld on. The panel is genuine '63 Impala, Saddle Tan Metallic, cut from the driver's door of a '63 sedan I scrapped last summer.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #217]

05-19-2011 02:49 PM Passenger Fender, entry #684 Patch Panel
I used a magic marker to draw a line on the fender, then used the die grinder and fibre cut-off wheel to cut away the rusted area. I then used masking paper and the marker to trace the line, creating a template for a patch panel. I traced the template (with solid lines for the edges of the panel, and dotted lines to indicate the creases) Here is the rusted area cut away, to reveal the inner structure, also rusted.

I traced the lower fender shape on to a scrap of 2 x 6 lumber, and used the reciprocating saw to cut out kind of a die for making the panel. Shown here in the second photo clamped in the bench vise, with the sheetmetal squeezed in between the two halves.

Using the pick hammer to flatten the protruding edge to create the rear flange for the patch to weld to the fender's inner structure.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #216]

01-19-2011 05:15 PM Bondo Vu
Here's the fender, removed from the car, with the wheel opening edge straightened. It can be made presentable, but there are a lot of other problems with this panel.

It has rust in the lower corner, and the same indifferent kind of repair previously done to it. It's rustier toward the back edge, so I may have to make a larger fancier patch panel for it. But I don't want to do any of that until I'm a little more confident about being able to get the rest of it straight. I removed the fender from the car and put it on the table to finish the rest of the repair.

It has a dent, also badly repaired, in the body line in the rear. It also has a small rust hole in the front near the bumper, and other light damage up higher. (Did I pick the right fender?)

After some hammer and dolly work, I've covered a large area with a thin coat of filler, so I can start Dura-Blocking it.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #215]

Pages (44): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44