I decided that the dash the way it was doesn't suit my needs. I figured I needed an area for the pressure gauges, for the air bags. My dilemma was what would look acceptable to the old style of the dash. So I figure a smaller version of the main dash would look the best. I left enough room for the pressure switches, cut out a template and proceeded to cut away. Its rough right now but in time I will finish it when the time comes. The insert will be separate from the dash and will have to be mounted in.
I'm back on track working on the old truck. I fabricated a ice box for those trips to the shows. It is stainless steel with a cherry wood trim and cover. It still needs a bit of work. I still need to weld in a drain, finish the trim and figure out how I want to open and shut the lid.
I picked up some 20 gauge sheet metal and started the upper and lower consoles for the interior. I thought of 2 ways to do this and I think covering the hump is better than trying to build something to go on top of it. I mounted them with slotted holes to allow for the future installment of the sound deadening and the carpet thickness. I'm about halfway done with the metal fabbing part. There's still 2 more parts to do. After they are made they will be covered with real imitation leather with Cherrywood inserts. The overhead console will have Cherrywood on each side of it but I haven't any idea what I will mount in there yet other than a small speaker. The center piece is for the satellite radio with a spot for sunglasses. This will also be a Cherrywood insert.
Today would of been my Mom's 80th birthday. Happy Birthday Ma!! We all miss you so much!!
I got the motor and trans installed now and the cab on the frame. I wanted to be sure there was plenty of clearance on the firewall for the motor. I also installed the sway-bar. Good thing the Pontiac sway-bar fits. The pontiac one is 1 1/4" thick compared to the stock truck one that is quite a bit thinner around 3/4". Next thing to do is some sheet metal work in the interior of the cab.
Finshed the front of the sub-frame to have the exact same mounting locations for the Rad support, Power Steering etc... Each piece had to be fabricated and it sure took some time around 80 hrs to do. Next is to drop the motor in and fabricate the exhaust system.