Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: MI2600's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View MI2600's profile Entries: 17
Views: 7041
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4

08-11-2010 03:17 PM Vortec Heads
After almost a four year hiatus, a new thread/project. The '72 is still a project, currently undergoing a new floor, door repairs, and new quarters. Having a professional do it.

Also rebuilding the 406 after a disastrous cam failure during break-in. I like the old style cast aluminum valve covers. But this time around, I wanted to go with Vortec heads, i.e. centerbolt. Some research found centerbolt to perimeter adapters, but they cause the cover to be about 3/4" above the head. After some discussion, a machinist friend notched the insides of the Vortecs in the locations where the perimeter cover bolts normally are. Another friend brazed in some 1 1/2" studs I made from hardened threaded dowel. The three steps are pictured.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #17]

08-21-2006 10:48 PM Some Progress
I spent most of Sunday afternoon working out some console wiring. I didn't feel comfortable running the tach, trans lock-up control and gauges all off the fuse block for switched power. So, I added a relay which is activated by the IGN fuse block terminal.
With the radiator support in place and one of the inner fenders on, it's starting to look promising. The inner fenders are those wonderful GM plastic concoctions. I had to repair some cracks with fiberglas mat and they turned out fairly good and seem strong.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #16]

08-18-2006 08:53 AM Little Things...
I stripped off all the tacky convoluted tubing on the engine bay wiring harnesses and rewrapped them with original style harness tape. In the process, I found wires that went nowhere and eliminated them. I replaced the resister wire to the coil as I will be running a Pertronix unit in the distributor.
Installing the starter and wires was a lot of fun. I may just sell the car if it ever gives out.
I fabricated a carb bracket for the 200R4 TV cable because all the brackets I could find didn't have enough adjustment. I was mentally celebrating until I found the left rear intake bolt hole was stripped. Helicoil time.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #15]

08-15-2006 12:50 PM Two Steps Forward, One Step...
Nothing is ever easy. I thought I the alternator and power steering mountings worked out using the 461 heads (no holes)...wrong. The PS pulley was not going to clear the steering box and the balancer. Long story short, I had a set of fresh 441 heads (with bolt holes) I had drilled for steam holes. Thirty-four bolts out, 34 bolt holes chased, 34 bolts in and voila I could put the PS pump up higher.
My compression is lower but should still be about 9:1, still ok with the XE268 cam.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #14]

08-07-2006 09:36 PM Some Progress...Maybe
The Performer intake I bought from Ebay finally came to finish off the major engine assembly.
I installed the front and rear seals on the 200R4 and got it under the car. I still need to dump the trans oil and change the filter.
I set the engine on the mounts and felt a little better about the project.
Then the problems began. I had to heat and beat (and I mean beat) on the u-joints to dislodge them. My gratification quickly dissipated when the new u-joints weren't anywhere close. So, I checked the part number against my interchange manual. It appears that the driveshaft isn't the right one! If you check my ad in the classifieds, you will note a plea for a '72 driveshaft.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #13]

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4