Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: firstgear's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View firstgear's profile Entries: 1
Views: 647
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

01-17-2009 08:22 PM 63 split window Corvette RESTOROD
Late last summer at Corvettes at Carlisle I decided that I was going to build another restorod. This time it would be a 63 split window coupe.

I looked at many cars and even had a guy in Kentucky try to sell me one that was a real piece of junk.

Here is what the birdcage on that car looked like when I stuck my digital camera behind the glove box.

Needless to say this was a real piece of junk. What a wasted trip to Kentucky from northern Ohio. I looked at several other 63SWC and finally found one out in eastern New Hampshire. So my better half and myself left on a Friday after work and drove to New Hampshire. We were back home by Saturday night with the car in my trailer.

It was a car that the seller had all apart. He had intentions to redo the car. It came with matching numbers engine and tranny. The motor was the 340HP variety. I almost felt guilty splitting the rolling chassis and motor from the car. I tried to trade the car to someone that had an equally nice car but not numbers matching. No takers, so I decide to move ahead with the project.

While I was out at Carlisle I put a $500 deposit on a new frame that incorporates new style C5 Corvette front suspension and C4 Corvette rear suspension. Front and rear incorporates coil over QA1 shocks. The shop selling this frame is a company by the name SRIII Motorsports out of New Lenox, Illinois.
http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/

We finally picked the chassis up the January 10th in the worse snow storm of the season. We drove in our GMC crew cab diesel just about the whole way there and back in 4 wheel drive. Here is a photo of the chassis.

More to come......

[Entry #1]