Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: LordMaximo's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View LordMaximo's profile Entries: 11
Views: 2044
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

12-02-2006 08:12 AM Painting
Well I managed to get time in the paint booth and was able to do the small stuff, most the suspension parts, and the chassis. It was five days of painting and cure time. Will post pix later into the season. Had a slow down in progress due too unforeseen issues.
Still working on recouping missing parts for the chassis build.
Hopefully I will be able to start on the cab and fender of the D30 soon before the heavy snows move in and just blanket everything. Until then, good luck to all in their projects.

[Entry #11]

02-12-2006 10:46 PM Painting the '71 chassis
First off, I do not claim to be a professional painter!
However I am proficient enough to trust my own hand at the task.
I used Dupont paints for most of my work. The primer is a two part epoxy, light gray. I added one part of "chroma-base-mid temp" to this mixture as well. The paint temps were around 92*F when I was doing the prime on the chassis components. I then used a Dupont industrial truck, semi-gloss black for my final paint. The primer coat has 6 layers for a very fine and smooth finish. The semi-gloss black was a three part enamel paint with a clear added in the blend. I added one extra part of the Dupont Chroma-base non-penetrate to the mixture, and this was six coats as well. Most painters do not add extra catalyst to their mixtures. I have a few friends who have been doing this type of mixing for some years with great success. My finished parts are real clear with an almost mirror finish. I will post some pictures soon of the parts that are finished. The weather turned on me before I could get any of the large pieces finished.

[Entry #10]

02-12-2006 10:33 PM '38 IHC Morph - 00
I guess you should have a gander of what was first after many years of neglect and just sitting around. Not bad for a frame made in 1968.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #9]

02-12-2006 10:28 PM '38 IHC Morph - 6
Now the day is finally over after 14 hours of blasting.
Here is the finished frame into the early night, ~ 9:30 pm.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #8]

02-12-2006 10:24 PM '38 IHC Morph - 5
This picture shows my gravel pit on the side of my shop, it took me four days and 12 hours later to sift out 200 lbs of yard dirt for the blast. My friends and neighbors figured I was a bit too-hard core in my efforts on keeping this as low budget as possible. The next two are of the frame as we move on in the blasting.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #7]

Pages (3): [1] 2 3