Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: bigjoe's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View bigjoe's profile Entries: 10
Views: 6805
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (2): [1] 2

08-06-2006 06:07 PM Steering box reversal
I got a steering box for the purpose of using it as a cowl steering box. It needed reversed, but after looking at it, I figured it would be an easy fix. It was!
The box was out of a late 70's 1/2 ton Ford with manual steering. I just took it apart, knocked the freeze plug out of the backside of the case, put in a CR# 7475 seal. (perfect fit, by the way)
I put it back together with a 13/16" deep freeze plug in the old hole, and it was done! No machine work, no special tools. The whole proceedure took less than 15 minutes. Here's a picture of the finished product.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #10]

07-30-2006 08:08 PM Rear suspension design
After a few hours at my local pub, I think I have my rear suspension designed. It is a trailing arm-type suspension using a pair of Ford 'bones that I have, a pair of coil springs, a panhard bar, and a set of El Cheapo Brand shocks. ( I refuse to spend lots of money for shocks. I'm in the industry, and I tell you, there is little difference if you pick the correct application.) Here's a couple scans of my work. Feel free to copy me, just throw a little credit my way.

EDIT 8-6-06

I have spoken to a couple people, and have come to realize that this will not do. I will re-draw the design, and re-post the results.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #9]

07-26-2006 08:38 PM Welder cart part tres`
Photo 1: At the bottom you can see a piece of scrap that I bent into a circle to support the cylinder from moving around. I cut part of the bottom shelf of the cart, and welded in this round thingy!

Photo 2: The finished product. I don't have my cylinder installed, yet, but one thing I want to mention is that I used the "child seat belt" from the cart to secure the cylinder. It's totally adjustable, and works great!

Have fun!!!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #8]

07-26-2006 08:34 PM Welder cart part deux
Photo 1: This is the back piece you cut out. Trim the bottom to fit it into the cart to support the back of the welder and keep it out of the way of the cylinder. The long pieces on either end lock this piece to the cart so it doesn't move around.

Photo 2: Set in your welder. Mark how the side flips up for spool access, and cut out the side.

Photo 3: See?

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #7]

07-26-2006 08:30 PM Sidetracked. Built a welding cart
I got tired of lugging my welder everywhere, so I decided to build a cart. It didn't cost me one red cent, because I inherited all of the materials.

Photo 1: The cart I started with. A small shopping cart from a local store that just happened to show up in my parking lot at work one morning.

Photo 2: I measured the width of my welder, and cut that much out of the front of the cart.

Photo 3: I cut the back out of the cart to make room for the gas cylinder, but save the piece you cut out, becase you're gonna need it!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #6]

Pages (2): [1] 2