Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Hotrodder78's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Hotrodder78's profile Entries: 5
Views: 804
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

07-30-2006 05:18 PM Front End
I started working on the front end and the grille. I see that a lot of people use grille teeth, which looks really good, however, I don't want to do the same thing. I have stared at the grille for a long time trying to figure out what to do, and Finally just took it out and started cutting. Well, I first worked on getting rid of the surface rust on the back of the grille. Everything cleaned up pretty well, and I just started playing with the welder to see what would come out. Fabbed up some fog lights, and after accidentally knocking down the hood ornament off a shelf, I got an idea...soon it will be floating in the grille, but that's for later. Oh yeah, also the passenger side headlight has been frenched, and the right one needs to be done. I'll get to it later.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #5]

07-08-2006 06:14 PM Taking Shape...or removing it!
Well, I got the hood finished up, skim coated the whole thing with some Evercoat Body Filler, thinned with Evercoat Glazing Putty. This works so well for skim coats...it allows the filler to go on much smoother and far quicker and thinner than it would otherwise. Unfortunately, these hot Georgia summers means that it hardens VERY fast. Had to work really quick, and finally, after several times mixing, I had the hood ready. Most of the filler was sanded off, and I believe that even at its thickest point, it was only maybe 1/16" thick. GREAT!!! Then it was time for primer. The hood was primed, with several coats. After a while, and another week of work, I got out the sandpaper and blocks. Using a long block on most of the hood, it turned out quite flat, however there are still some low spots. I anticipated this, and plan to re-coat it, then hold off for a final block until most of the car is ready to go into the paint booth. Eventually I will have to tear apart the front clip to put in the IFS, V8, and turbo 350 trans, and at that time, I will also prep the entire body, do all the fabrication and paint work then...for now, front clip body work. The pics show the couple of high spots showing through in the metal...Until next time...

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #4]

07-08-2006 04:02 PM A break in progress
I had to cease work on the Chevy for a while, but I thought this a rather pertinent entry for everyone. I decided that it was time to do a little house cleaning in the garage, and this included epoxy coating the garage floor. I did a lot of research, reading, consumer reports, etc...before finally chosing a product. Many had the results and same prep work, and pretty much the same feedback. Each DIY kit pretty much came back with a feedback along the lines of:
Good Prep work = Good Floor
Bad Prep Work = Bad Floor
I chose the Rust-O-Leum Epoxy Sheild kit.
I did not like what they had at Home Depot, as they only had the water based kits available at mine. I wanted a solvent based kit, so I looked online. Well, I did a lot of prep work...several soap and concrete cleaner scrubbings, and a muratic acid etching. The final results came out very nice. My garage is a little over the standard two-car gargage size, so I opted for two kits of the silver-grey color, and two of the clear coat. The catch is that in addition to adding the color chips, I also customized the floor with a few decals. I did not use the non-slip additive, and I have found that it may have the potential to be slippery, but with a heavy coating of color chips, (plenty with the kits) it really makes it pretty good. The clear keeps it shiny, and also make spilled oil easy to wipe up without getting stuck in the chips! Looks great, cleans easy, and I've even mopped it once now, and with the hose and water, I never slipped once. It's great, and really, right around $400 with the two kits, concrete cleaner and acid as well as the decals. Also, if you're interested, it is cheaper and you get GREAT service at garage-toys.com. Get the Epoxy Sheild Professional. Good luck, and I'll be back soon with progress on the ol' '51 Chevy!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

07-08-2006 03:49 PM '51 Chevy, It Begins!
As I mentioned before, this car is going to be my day-time driver for a while, so unfortunately, since I bought the car to build and hot rod and bit, the first thing I had to do was get the car running, licensed and driving reliably before I could do anything else. After some long hours staring at the car and trying to figure out exactly what I wanted to do, the time came to start removing, cutting and welding. I deliberated for a long time about whether or not to leave the strip up the middle and leave a crease on the hood, however, I finally decided that I wanted a very clean and very smooooooooth look. I removed all of the trim on the hood, and welded the two halves of the hood together. I also filled (with welding, not body filler) the holes where the trim used to go. One of the hood trim bolts holds the hood latch in place, so I had to weld a bolt into the recessed part of the hood and fill and grind it flush to keep the hood latch securely in place. Next will be a skim coat of filler, and some serious sanding...most all filler on a skim coat gets sanded off, and then followed by some primer and a lot of elbow grease and block sanding, it should be a perfectly smooth surface. Of coarse I'll keep things updated as I get time.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #2]

07-04-2006 04:57 PM 1951 Chevy! Got the New project
Here is my "brand new" 1951 Chevrolet Fleetline Deluxe. I would love to tear it apart immediately, however, in an attempt to save some money, this is also going to be my daily driver. So, work is going to have to be done on an "as can" basis. Got the car with 2 motors. The engine that was in the car was frozen, however, the second I got was a 235 out of a 1953 chevy with a powerglide. It is a great running motor, so the first on the list was to get the car running and driving. (Sounds backwards for a car that I'm eventually going to take apart.) Anyway, here is the starting product.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #1]