Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Protowrxs's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Protowrxs's profile Entries: 5
Views: 853
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

01-15-2007 10:57 AM 69 Stang - C&L Pipe - Electric Fan
C&L Pipe - Fan Testing - Under carriage cleaning

I spent the ice storm in the garage cleaning mainly. Worked the under carriage, well actually just the tunnel since there are no floors, and am happy with the results. The old car was amazingly clean under the basic layer of dirt. I personally had expected some type of rust.

I also received my C&L pipe/80mm mass air sensor (for a 96-01 4.6GT) and picked up a 70mm throttle body to go with it. The pipe looks great and the bends are just about perfect for a shock tower car. Only possible issue is with a ½" spacer on the motor mounts an the 1" spacer on the intake it looks like hood clearance is a slight issue. I might have to trim one of the support brackets on a stock hood. I had seriously thought of a cowl hood in the past so that may still be an option. I also made a simple L bracket to hold the mass air unit which can be adjusted up or down as needed.

I also pulled a couple electric fans out of storage to test fit them on an old radiator. I will purchase an aluminum radiator in the long run but this helped to insure things would fit.

More info here: http://www.protowrxs.com/Nolen/Stang/Rebuild/2007-01-14.asp

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #5]

01-07-2007 08:37 PM 69 Mustang - TKO mount, EFI Export
Finished out the modified FMX cross member for the TKO install.

I also bent the 1 1/8" pipe for the monte carlo bar to finish out the EFI export brace / monte carlo bar. Just need to pull, final weld, grind and paint or chrome.

Also picked up a tubular GT40 intake and 70mm throttle body. I was going to run a stock setup but just couldn't go through with it... lol.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #4]

01-02-2007 07:32 PM 69 Stang TKO / Crossmember mods
I stuffed the TKO 5 speed in the car by myself (ouch) ... to see what was needed in regard to crossmember work.

I had planned on making a custom piece instead of buying one but after testing some of the original ones I had lying around I felt the original FMX piece might work with some trimming.

I cut it up, opened up a couple holes, put the original isolator/mount on and it fits just fine. I still have to strengthen up the unit with some bracing but I was surprised it worked that easy.

The strap is the safety harness for if/when the trans fell off the jacks/stands while I was trying to wrestle the thing in.

More here:
http://www.protowrxs.com/Nolen/Stang/Rebuild/2007-01-01.asp

-Stephen

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

12-31-2006 10:49 AM 69 Mustang Rack and pinion, testing fit
I purchased the Unisteer rack and pinion kit based on the price and the desire for better steering. Although the other powered kits seem really nice, this kit saves about $1000 over them. It's manual but functional.

Also dropped in an old block to test fit headers (looks like just a bit of bending needed), EFI and finish up the export brace. I will mount up the TKO soon to build the rear cross member. Sure feels nice to see something in the engine bay.. although it's not 'real' yet.

More here:
http://www.protowrxs.com/Nolen/Stang/Rebuild

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #2]

11-20-2006 11:46 AM 69 Stang Catchup
Just to catch up this project to date:
First car when I was 16 back in 1974. Been through my whole life with it running and not running. Currently under resto-mod to get back on the road.

Car is pretty solid as having been stored in the garage most of the last 20 years. Needs floor pans and minimal patching. Replaced front passenger shock tower which was broke during collision in late 70's.

The plan is pretty basic; 5.0 based EFI (likely 347 stroker), better heads, have a TKO ready to go, leaving the 4.11 9" posi as is, 17 or 18" modern wheels, lowered and leveled, SN95 rear disc, and a future repaint.

More Project Info Here:
http://www.StephenNolen.com

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #1]