Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Rons1stRod's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Rons1stRod's profile Entries: 16
Views: 1592
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4

11-10-2007 01:11 PM Brake? Steering?
Post quick, it's time limited. One lives and learns!

small block ford people can use the stock steering box / column with a Granada power steering cylinder with little work. The BB Ford is too wide to use the stock box or the Granada box OR the master cylinder with power booster. Research and a few calls to fellow Crown Victoria Club members did lead me to going with a manual master cylinder set up for the disk / drum brakes I've got.

Steering is another story. With the excellent help of the guys here at Hotrodders.com (especially OLDGUY829), I have picked up a used rack and pinion from the 89 - 92 Cavalier (many others are a fit too, check Schuck's Auto website and click the link for what else does this part fit to find out what cars you can take one off of - Mine came off a 95 Grand AM ... same unit). Oldguy is walking me through this now so I'll have more posts and pictures for you later. Check his wiki out as it's really excellent and includes photos of the mount he did on his 41 Pontiac.

More later, but here are a few pictures of the manual cylinder on my firewall. I've used the Granada column / mount / pedal hangar but can see that it will have to be modified to get a steeper angle on the column. Check my photo gallery Ron's 1st Rod for lots more pictures!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #16]

11-10-2007 12:39 PM Engine clearance with body back on frame
I was anxious to get the body back on the chassis to check the clearance. I also wanted the space to bring my truck back into the shop!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #15]

11-10-2007 12:34 PM Under body work and under coating
I put the body back on my hoist and could see that while the floor pans were in pretty good condition overall, there were several supports that were rusted out. I purchased a great Hobart 115V plasma cutter and some metal sheet scraps and cut out the old supports. I then took some heavier paper and made a template then transferred that onto the metal and cut out the replacement pieces. Once those were in place, they were welded in. All finished, they looked pretty good although not show car good. Not a problem! I then cleaned the entire underside with my grinder and wire wheels. Worse job ever but got it done. Afterward, I primed the entire underside with self etching primer and then sprayed undercoating over it all.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #14]

11-10-2007 12:29 PM More Body paint removal
After getting the bondo "burned out" and some of the lead too, I was more able to see the task ahead. Here is what I encountered.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #13]

11-10-2007 12:25 PM Body paint removal
There had been some pretty nasty body work done on this car. Lots of bondo, poorly welded in panels and lots of lead work. I almost think this car may have been a high school shop project at one time. I decided to strip it to bare metal and actually see what I've got here.

Paint remover was very slow. I decided to use my trusty grinder with wire wheel (s s s s s .... did I say "wheels"?) Hours and hours of dirty, dusty, noisy grinding! NEVER DO THIS WITHOUT A RESPIRATOR! My poor elderly neighbor couldn't use her patio as the door to my shop was within 30' or so and the dust cloud was huge! I kept my work down to a few hours at a time and tried my best to keep the door down and just the windows open with fans blowing the cloud out to "unoccupied" areas! Nasty work and because I hated it, it took forever! I still have a few areas to do, including the front fenders and hood. I purchased the paint remover pads that worked well from Eastwood but the noise and dirty, dust was still a part of the job.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #12]

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4