Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: rhphotrod's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View rhphotrod's profile Entries: 162
Views: 49799
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (33): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

05-02-2012 10:24 AM 34 Finally
Installation of the radio/sterio system thru the back panel. Covered it all with finished panel in the trunk to cover all the wiring and battery. Very slick finish. Radio has a remote for ease of tuning... but who listens to music in hot rods when you can hear the purr of the engine?
More interior work pictures. Started out using a third row van seat but my wife convinced me to buy a "Teas" seat custom made for the limited space in the 34. Glad we did, reclines and slides and is comfortable with seat bulsters and is well padded. Color is a light sand with snake skin like inlay on the seats and doors. Alum trim we installed on the door and kick panels finishes off the interior and gives it a personalized look. Made the arm rests but in hind sight, should have made them longer toward the rear. Seat change altered the seat/arm rest relationship. Hell I drive with two hands on the wheel any way..white knuckle like!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #162]

05-02-2012 10:07 AM 34 Finally
This is the part that takes a second set of hands. Front fenders are a bit awkward to handle so I enlisted my wife for this task. Nothing like a woman's soft touch! Again tape protects the mating sufaces. Just remember to remove it before final tightening of bolts. Welting was "V" notched at each mounting hole to facilitate alignment.
The only problem I had was in my haste to mount the inner fenders I failed to treat the stainless bolt threads with "never-seize" and couldn't remove several once tightened. Wouldn't have mattered as it turned out. I had bought these bolts online and found them to have inferior unfinished threads. Muttered many a censored word the FCC wouldn't had approved! Used many stainless bolts throughout the assembly but sourced domestically. Non the less always use a thread compound on ss bolts. Had to grind them off as they are button head 5/16...very carefully around finish paint I might add! Survived that fiasco without a hitch thankfully.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #161]

05-02-2012 09:48 AM 34 Finally
Tank cover assembled and bolted up. Happy I used the black fender welting it really cleans up the panel joints. Fabricated a polished stainless steel cover for the plate recess. Not seen but redundancy is cool when you are retired!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #160]

05-02-2012 09:43 AM 34 Finally
Gas tank assembly pictures. Had a problem with the gas guage sender so I called auto-meter. Tech support was great and they sent out a new sender..no questions asked. Found sender wire had a small break at the pick up. Used "an" gas lines because, frankly they look cool and didn't want to chase possible leaks having no access to the top of tank. Taped off all the adjoining body panels to minimize assembly scratches. Tank and cover were on and off several times so this step was crucial.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #159]

05-02-2012 09:29 AM 34 Finally
Geez Posted twice...mind is a terrible thing to waste!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #158]

Pages (33): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33