Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: DJ3100's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View DJ3100's profile Entries: 23
Views: 2732
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5

07-29-2007 11:19 AM A/C compressor braket continued
Photo 1: Top is is the new bracket. Middle is the old bracket. Bottom is the second plate with the slot milled, holes drilled and pattern drawn.

Photo 2: Compressor and brackets assembled on the bench.

Photo 3: Installed on the engine, the compressor will now move up to 2" in a straight line with no rotation. This will provide lots of belt adjustment without adversely affecting the refrigerant lines.

The new brackets also moved the compressor away from the center of the engine, which puts it the same distance from the radiator hose as the alternator, for a more balanced look.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #23]

07-29-2007 11:14 AM A/C compressor bracket
The Zips's water pump riser came with brackets to mount the Sandon 508 compressor. After I ordered the Vintage Air compressor hardlines the Zips brackets became a problem. The Zip's brackets cause the compressor to rotate when it is adjusted to change the belt tension. The hardlines end up pointing down and rotation causes them to move toward the engine. A little rotation causes a lot of movement. My concern was that the refrigerant hoses could not tolerate that much movement in the hardlines.

I decided to make new brackets.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #22]

07-29-2007 10:48 AM Another alt bracket mod continued
First radius is cut and then the second. A little cleanup on the disc sander removes the burrs.

The metric thread on the alternator is bothering me, it is the only metric thread in the engine compartment. (I never can remember the size, but it is the one that is only a slightly different size and pitch than 5/6-18). I doubt I'll do anything about it now, though.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #21]

07-29-2007 10:43 AM Another alt braket mod.
The bracket is too long and has an unwanted hole.

A washer was used to mark the desired radius location. The bracket was cut on the ironworker notcher.

Photo 3: This tool is what this entry is about. It cuts a 1/2" radius on anything up to 1/4" thick.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #20]

07-29-2007 10:26 AM Alternator bracket offset continued
The first bends yielded an offset that was not 1 3/8" nor was it parallel. It is very possible to had made both those bends correctly and been finished. However, I like the following method because it requires less precision and goofing.

Photo 1 Since the offset was 1 3/8" I got 2 pieces of 1 inch and 2 pieces of 3/8". I radiused one corner of the 3/8" so it would not leave a sharp lin on the bracket.

Photo 2: Compressed in the hydraulic press the offset comes out 1 3/8" and parallel.

Photo 3: This is Chinese chrome and That will have to go away. I'll sandblast, use etching primer and black paint.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #19]

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5