I have started welding roof back on, but didn't get but about 30min to work on it today. I did last night do a blue flame scheme, and not sure if i like the scallops anymore. Going to post them on here because this is a complete chronicle of my thought process and this is part of it. Even if I fore go the idea, haha.
Not too much progress lately, but here are a couple of pics of the top sitting back on to see alignment. I have decided to slant the A pillars for a couple of reasons vs stretching the roof.
1, I like the slant windshield look.
2, visibility. If I stretch the roof forward another 2 inches to line up the A pillars, the line of sight upward will be just that much worse (I would have to park further back to see stop lights easily). And it would be that much harder if someone taller than me was driving (not hard to do since I am only 5'9")
So now that I have a visual of what I want the truck to look like, i took my measurments. I ended up with a 5" chop along the back, 4.75" on the A Pillars, 111" wheel base and total length of 146". The ride height will be about 6" in rear and 5" front with a 29" tire in back and 28" in front, accounting for about half inch tire height loss. 30" is more of a standard tire OD so I may go with that if the 29" would be to difficult, but the end result would be similar- a slight rake. So I made some measurments, laid some tape down, and started cutting. I got the roof off yesterday and liked the idea of using a cab in another project as a modified style roadster. Back to the task at hand- Stage one of the chop turned out good. Set the roof back on to see what was lying ahead.
Side to side it was a perfect match. However from front to rear it was off by the width of the A pillars. So not bad, but I will not be pie cutting the pillars and to bend them towards each other. I will spread the roof out to align them. Once I get this going i will take some photos. Here are some though of the first stage of the chop.
So now that the truck is home, the fun can begin. What I am going for look wise is, for lack of a better way to say it, a finished rat rod. I have nothing against rat rods as long as they are safe, I actually really dig the idea. You want to build a vehicle to have a certain use (go fast) and look (mucho hot rod attitude) on the cheap, I think they are a great option. Use ingenuity and patience in place of money. But I want to show that these rods can and do look good in finished paint. So I worked with and altered some real photos of the truck to come up with these images. The first one was what I was originally going to use for stance and chop height. The second one was CBoy's version, which got me re-thinking it. Thank you sir. And the third is a finalized version in paint that I think is a compromise between the two. The grill may change from the deuce style that I have on there now as I really like the added attitude of a slanted 36 style. But we will see.
Once the final look was decided I figured out my ratio(23.2 to 1) and began measuring what needed to be cut where.