I was trying to figure out what to do with my sub-frame. I was going to have it media blasted, but that wouldn't really do a good job up inside the channels. I decided to have it dipped in caustic (to get rid of the paint and tar) and then dipped in acid (to get rid of the rust). The place that did the work also galvanizes. I was talking to the guys and they suggested galvanizing it. It didn't cost me any more because they were already doing the work. I had the motor mounts, a-arms, core support brackets, and transmission done as well. I think it turned out pretty cool. It's bright silver and will never rust inside or out. I have never heard of anyone galvanizing auto parts before, but what the heck, I like it:-)
If nothing else this project has provided some great opportunities for my daughter and I to bond. She is all pincess in the house, but all hotrodder in the garage!! I'm not sure the radio appreciates her efforts though:-)
I got the floors out, but after hours of stripping (and finding more and more issues) I decided to have it media blasted. So I am finishing stripping everything out and will then have it blasted and see just how much s#$t is hiding behind all of the bondo and crappy primer.
I think I can officially scratch my last post. The car is a basket case. The farther I get into it the more I find. Someone worked really hard to hide s#@t. These shots show how much bondo is layered over the quarters and the piece work done to the wheel opening. They actually took small pieces of aluminum, bent, and rivited them in place to try to hide the rotted out openings.
Found it!! This is what it looked like before the de-construction. The front end has 2" drop spindles which I am not putting back on. I am going to be adding performance springs which will drop the front end 1 1/2". I thought that it would be too low if I had both the drop spindles and different springs. So if anyone needs 2"disc brake drop spindles for a 67 bird or camaro let me know.