Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Conrad_AZ's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Conrad_AZ's profile Entries: 112
Views: 13335
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (23): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

06-08-2010 09:27 AM Moved...
Last fall I moved my journal to my personal blog, which is, for me easier to update and keep current.
www.cmonroe.net

[Entry #112]

06-04-2009 11:46 AM 1956 Dodge Sierra Wagon
I also decided to fit the new gas tank that I had built a few months ago. I wanted to locate where I need to cut an access panel in the rear floor so that I can service the fuel pump and gauge sender.

It fit really well and looks great... I probably should polish it and then clear it! Probably as close to bling that this old girl will see!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #111]

06-04-2009 11:42 AM 1956 Dodge Sierra Wagon
I finally got around to sand blasting the rest of the front end sheet metal - got tired of looking at all the rust! Still waiting for the evaporator and condensor that I ordered from Hot Rod Air. It looks like these folks are having a lot of production problems these days.

Once I get the evaporator and condensor fitted I can locate the PCM and the cooling and heating bulkhead block. At that point I can pull the engine and tranny and fabricate the new firewall.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #110]

06-04-2009 11:38 AM 1956 Dodge Sierra Wagon
Well sometimes things work out, and sometimes they don't. This is one that didn't work like I had planned.

A good friend of mine turned me on to the Lincoln Mark VIII electric cooling fan. This 18" fan is a brute. 4500 CFM, 2 speed etc. I found a site on the web that had a set of dimensions for it before and after being trimmed to the max. Comparing the dimensions to the clearance between my radiator and the serpentine drive on the 5.7 it looked like it would just fit.

I ordered a fan off of Ebay and when I got it, I trimmed it to the max. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzt.... Ended up with exactly zero clearance between the fan and the water pump pulley. Close but no cigar.

So Plan B! Ordered a 17" Derale 2400 CFM and just received it today. It's much thinner than the Mark VIII and has plenty of clearance. Also received the B&M tranny cooler that I had ordered. After looking at it, I decided that it needed to be bigger, so I am ordering another one to run in parallel. More to follow!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #109]

05-29-2009 04:20 PM 1956 Dodge Sierra Wagon
Moving to the front of the car!

My original suspension plan was to use Shockwaves in the front and bags in the rear with a four bar set up. Unfortunately, finances being what they are these days I decided that I would have to postpone the air suspension for now. When I got the Olds, it's front springs had been heated to drop the front end back down after they had pulled the engine and tranny - so that it would look right when they crashed it. So without the stock springs I was without a starting point, until I stumbled over the front cross member and springs that I had cut off of the Dodge. After a few quick measurements I determined that the Dodge coils were the same diameter and had about the same loaded height that I had set in the Olds front end when it was installed.

I pulled the coils from the Dodge front end and installed them into the Olds spring pockets - when I set the car back down on the ground the steering links and control arms are parallel to the ground. The stance should be close to what I was looking for when I get the 2" drop spindles and 18" wheels and tires on the car.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #108]

Pages (23): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23