Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 290
Views: 74513
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (58): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

08-25-2014 03:01 PM 161-27 The Frog Follies
We left in thick fog about 5:45am Saturday morning but made the two hour drive to the Frog Follies in Evansville IN without problems. We were early enough to get a prime spot to park next to the entrance road and watched the endless parade of real street rods coming and going past us all day. That is between trips through the crowded fairgrounds to look at the over four thousand entries. Parked next to us was a GoodGuys multi-award winner '36 Plymouth, and saw lots of other high quality rods. I kept my eye on the heat gauge after the fan replacement and reassembly of all the cooling system. It's strange how the gauge varies but stayed under 200. Going to check the timing and vacuum advance next to see if taking some timing out might cool the engine a little or if the vacuum is not working right. Any way there and back again from the absolute best rod show in the midwest.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #290]

08-10-2014 03:18 PM 160-26 the latest fixes
After driving for hours on the way home from the Nats with my eyes on the heat gauge it was time for a fix. Once again the front end had to come off along with the fan shroud so a new extension could be mounted which moves the belt driven fan to within two inches of the core and fully inside the shroud. Even though it only made about a 1/4'' difference the electric pusher fan was remounted on the inside of the brackets. A new expansion tank was added on new mounts as well. I'm too embarrassed to say why this was necessary. The test drive was on a cool rainy evening to a car show about half an hour away. The temp stayed at 175 both ways, but not sure if this was due to low outside temps or to a working cooling system. Our non-club has a sort-of motto ''it's always something'', in this case it applies to the fan making contact with the lower radiator hose clamp screw. Even though it didn't show up when turning the fan by hand to tighten the fan mount bolts. I needed to loosen and turn the clamp when I discovered the damage at the show. So, here we go again, a new fan is ordered.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #289]

08-06-2014 11:54 AM 159-25 Street Rod Nationals
I wish I could say the trip to the Nats was smooth and uneventful but parts of it were definitely not. I'm going to have to admit that the new copper radiator is probably too small even though it was rated for a ''mild small block''. A temperature reducing additive was added before the trip. We left at daylight on Friday morning and the temp stayed 175-80 which is good, but then it was early and cool. After the first stop for gas two hours down the road it started to heat up. I don't think it cooled off any at the stop and the trip across southern Indiana was very hilly which put more heat in. Add in a short stop for registration and then a really very long short drive in heavy traffic and the heat was extreme. We enjoyed the day and came back again all the next day before leaving in dense fog early Sunday morning. It is a long tiresome drive in our hot rods but we made it the whole way.
The first thing back home was to order an extension for the belt driven fan to move it farther into the shroud and closer to the radiator. The electric fan was also remounted on the inside of the brackets which moved it about a quarter inch closer to the core. Another bottle of additive was pored in. The shows this weekend will see if all this helps or not.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #288]

07-29-2014 01:23 PM 158-24 A Wow Event
The next day's show was close by which is a really good thing as the national highway there and back is so rough that it is almost undrivable in my hot rod. Even with the new and better mounted shocks, four passes over this stretch was enough to break welds. It is not an exaggeration to say it is like driving over a 2x4 every thirty feet for ten miles. The car show had the largest turn out of any show I've been to this summer. For some reason this area is heavily into one particular brand, of the 185 entries the vast majority were mopars, of every type and variety. A very good show and a pleasant day, not counting the drive. I plan an extended drive this coming weekend so on the better part of the highway I pushed to interstate speeds to check temperature and found that I may need to go easy as there is still a heat problem. I have ordered an additive which is supposed to lower the temp, but we'll see.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #287]

07-29-2014 01:06 PM 157-23 A better drive
The first show this weekend was a relatively easy hour's drive away. As I would find out the next day, a smooth well maintained highway is a pleasure and an extreme rarity in Illinois. The event was held in a large park full of shade trees with room for several times the number of entries. Both the dash and award plaques were laser engraved wood and were appreciated by all. So much so that friend Ron hunted up the woman responsible with an eye to using her service for his club's show, as well as allowing me to discuss a project I had in mind. Some time ago I posted about the turned laminated wood shifter knob and dash knobs another friend had made for the hot rod. The plan had always been to add a wooden medallion in the top of the shifter with my cartoon but it just never got done. So now working with this woman's business I may have just what I wanted.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #286]

Pages (58): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58