Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 46highboypu's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 46highboypu's profile Entries: 265
Views: 68421
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (53): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

04-21-2014 01:00 PM #137-3 A great spring day
What an incredible day for a car show. My friend Fuzzy Ron drove down an hour to meet with me and we drove on another hour over into Indiana for a high school/college autoshop scholarship fund car show. Over 130 trucks and cars came in for a sunny mild spring day, showing off a lot of really well done rides. This show seemed to have an unusual number of sharp pickup trucks and an unusually low number of corvettes and new mustangs (good show!!). Everyone had a great day visiting and enjoying the sunshine while checking out the details on the entries. After the awards and loading up we joined a regular parade of street rods, customs, and show cars driving back over into Illinois. There and back again, safe and happy.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #265]

04-15-2014 06:58 AM Finally the first two shows
What a great weekend! The weather was ideal for early spring, sunny and warm, and everyone was able to shake off the winter blues for the first car shows of the season.Friday evening was the first of the monthly cruise-ins held by an area car club. About a fifty mile drive to a large parking lot where 50+ cars and trucks would gather. We met friends from past shows and gave out (and collected) flyers for my home town's July car show. The drive was the first real test of the new shocks and longer mounts which seem to have worked pretty well-at least the ride over our winter distressed roads was much improved. The next morning the drive took another direction to an all day swap meet and car show, where lots of the ''Old Guys'' came out, and a couple even trophied. We had a good day with warm but windy weather and caught up on all of the winter project work, including a roadster coming apart for paint, new side pipe exhaust, and a hot rod that actually runs and gets where it's going. A great weekend and a good start on the car show season. We all made it there and back again and made plans for the next trip.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #264]

03-29-2014 08:48 AM Home Made Trophies
The hot rod is ready for spring. The shock mount fix seems to have worked as the front end doesn't ''hit'' nearly as hard on the test drives-new shocks and more travel. There were a couple of other things finished as well now we just need washed and real spring weather.
Last summer I brought home some pieces from the junk yard my son was clearing, with ideas for some home made trophies. I have bumper pieces, engine parts, and old carbs to play with.Between rod work I have made an engine top end out of scrap wood and a one barrel Holley ( I still have two Carters) which I cleaned and painted. The other project used an oil pump piece, washers, and sheet metal to form ''wings''. The wings were cut, tacked, brushed and drawn on with a rotary tool, then mounted on two washers to form a wheel/tire. The base was again scrap wood, this time wire brush distressed to reflect the wing feathers. Now I just need to decide what to do with them.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #263]

02-21-2014 10:42 AM The last of the Winter Fixes
We've gotten about a week of much better temps so garage work ensued. After asking advice in the forum, the cap on the Vega steering box was polished as best as it could be-in place, including smoothing the bolt heads. They were polished when removed. Then the box and the frame around it were painted to take care of road rash, along with some touch up on the shafts. The headers having been repainted were then re-installed and things checked for starting up to cure the header paint. Winter looks to be coming back for awhile so may wait for better days to road test.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #262]

01-21-2014 07:29 AM Winter Fixes 5
Winter we've certainly had, a lot more than we have had for several years. In spite of that I have made some progress in my cold garage. The raised shock mounts and new shocks are on and the measurements are what I wanted. Need a lot less snow and ice to find out if the ride has improved but at least now I have shocks that work. Also added to the list this time was to replace the top flange on the right hood side, where vibration had worn away a screw hole. After a couple of poor ideas and starts, a new metal strip was tacked across the mounting surface, ground down, trimmed to size and drilled. A pair of washers were tacked on to reinforce the mounting holes as a little preventive measure. Flat black should slow rust on the inside and the outside was sanded, primed, and sprayed with Duplicolor's can of ''school bus'' yellow. On the other side of the hood a similar repair was done at the bottom. So hopefully things are tighter and more solid for a few more miles.
While watching it snow more I totaled up my ''stats'' for the year, 2013. I seem to drive about 3000 miles each season as I did this year for a total of 14900. I participated in and drove to 30 car shows for a total of 134 so far. I had 11039 hits this year on this journal. I know there are rodders that drive very much more, across the country even, and attend more shows. But me and my homemade hotrod are doing okay.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #261]

Pages (53): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53