My goal today was to finish picking the bones of the 86 Camaro. I had it on the lift to make sure all the bolts holding the rear end/suspension was loose. I loosened everything on the front suspension as well.
I pushed it off the lift and as far as I could by myself. Almost made it to where I wanted it. Got on the tractor and pulled it the rest of the way. Don't know what I would do without that tractor.
With the pallet jack attachment on the back and a pallet on the forks I loaded up the floor jacks and a few tools and headed for the Camaro. Jacked up both sides a little and started pulling the loose bolts out. Jack it some more and realized the shocks were still bolted at the top. Made quick work of that with a battery impact. Rolled the rear end up on the pallet and drove over to the pickup for mock up.
Now I have a decision to make. Do I get some leaf spring perches or do I fabricate new track arms and mounts for the coil springs and shocks and track bar. Also some way of mounting the sway bar.
Since I have the disk brake conversion on the front I decided to wait on installing the IFS.
The original rear end with 6 lug axels needs to go.
I don't think the u-bolts have been off for quite some time. My impact wouldn't do it. The breaker bar and three feet of pipe did. Lots of penetrating oil helped. I sprayed some on three days ago as well.
All the pins in the spring hangers came out easy, and look good.
I removed my new fuel tank to get it out of the way while I clean up the frame.
The truck had a set of helper springs on top of the spring set.
It had its own center bolt so it came off easy.
I'm only hauling sailboat fuel so I won't need the helper springs.
I have a rear end out of an 86 IROC camaro donor car. Going to look at using the camaro suspension.
Won't know if it will work until I roll it underneath the frame.