Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: slodat's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View slodat's profile Entries: 1
Views: 965
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

05-06-2009 05:17 PM Getting Started with Upholstery
As I mentioned in another thread I have recently started dabbling in interior work. This is something I have wanted to do my whole life. So I finally took the first step. I picked up a great industrial sewing machine, a Consew 206RB-2. I immediately swapped out the clutch motor for a 550W servo motor and smaller drive pulley. This really helped me gain some control over the machine speed wise. Then, I made an awesome 4' x 8' work table. Blew a bigger wad of cash than I could really afford on a bunch of trimming supplies and tools. I thought I'd keep it in one thread if possible. So, this is where I'll post up whatever I come up with.

The machine and table:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_7Sq3Jc5tMko/Sf47QpEq1iI/AAAAAAAAEbA/DRTBWv-mgYM/s800/DSCF0443.JPG

My first project was the subwoofer box and rear panel refinishing in my '78 Datsun 620 King Cab pickup.

Next came a set of floor mats to match the carpet that is going in the KC.

As I have gathered up raw materials the ideas have been coming faster than I can get them down on paper. My sewing machine can pretty much sew through anything, or at least that is what I thought. It tuckered out when I tried to topstitch the red in the photo below.

More on that - I had cut a blank for a 620 kick panel out of panel board stock a few days ago. I picked up a great piece of lipstick red vinyl the other day when at the upholstery supply distributor. So, today, I experimented with sewing the red trim directly to the kick panel board. I like the effect it created. The panel looks very plain laying on the table. I know it is important to remember that very little of it is visible when installed. I think the red stripe running down will look great. My plan is to make up a full set of 620 interior in the black with red accents - kick panels, door panels and bucket seats. I'll offer it up for sale once it is finished as I have no use for it. My truck interior is grey. I figure someone will like it... Maybe?

After looking at the photo of the kick panel, I want to try putting a top stitch on the bottom and back sides. It looks too plain.

The fun thing for me right now is the techniques. Trying them out. And seeing how things go together.

[Entry #1]