I had to go down to the DMV today to pick up my new personalized license plates. Even with an appointment it still took a long time. Gotta love the DMV. But these plates are worth it. I'm positive they will make the truck quicker by at least a tenth...
I've slowly been gathering everything to wire my turn signals. Back when I wired the back of the truck, I ran separate left and right wires for the brake lights, temporarily hooking them up directly to the brake light switch. With my new turn signal switch off of eBay I was ready to start wiring. One thing I have been thinking about is that I don't have a high beam indicator light. I didn't want to modify the dash to add one and so I started thinking about placing the high beam indicator in with my turn signal indicator. I picked up some small lights and modified the housings to accept them. It worked out nice, except that I couldn't find a blue light for the high beam so I got a red one. I still need to wire the front lights but the rears work with the brakes like they should.
Back to the shifter linkage. Here's a pic of the home made aluminum arm before I took it off this morning. The new bracket bolted on easily. I put the linkage back on with it set very short. At that setting the gears were all grouped very tight. I finally adjusted it almost out to the tip before the gearing lined up with the shift indicator. Apparently my old arm was allowing a lot of slop. Man this new arm shifts smooth. On to the turn signals.
While moving the tweeter wires I broke one. No problem, I broke out the solder gun. After trimming the frame the mid speaker didn't have much to attach to. I reinforced the attachment by running a bead of non-hardening gasket material around the perimeter of the frame. Since the nylon spacer wasn't going to fit anymore, I ran nuts down on the studs in the housing and put washers on top of them. Then I placed the speaker in and bolted it down after checking to make sure the tweeters weren't pressed against the grille. Since the solder gun was out I put spade connectors on the ends of the wire I had run previously and connected the other ends to the stereo. After bolting everything back in place it was time to listen. At first the new speaker had a little distortion. After adjusting the fader to put more volume to the rears it started sounding better. With a little more fiddling with the controls it was sounding pretty good. A big improvement.
After the fun of last weekend I had to work out of town most of this week. Stopping by my office when I got back in town late Thursday night I found several parts waiting. The speaker I ordered had come in and it looks good. The very thin profile should fit the enclosure well.
I had also ordered a TH350 shift linkage. Years ago I had built a shift lever from aluminum to bolt to the transmission. It was working fine, but it was too long so my column indicator read incorrect. Reverse was indicated as Drive, and Drive was L2. After pulling it off and modifying it I decided to just replace it. I searched online for just the lever I needed, but only found the entire kit including the rod and heim joints. Oh well, faster than crawling under cars at a pick-a-part.
My priority though is the speaker. It would make more sense to finish the turn signal wiring or get my shifter working better. But that speaker was begging me to install it. Today after work I obliged. The first thing I realized was it wouldn't fit. The 5X7 bolt pattern was correct, but the flange was too large. I debated looking for a 4X6 speaker, and ultimately decided I would modify this speaker. First I popped off the nylon spacer that was glued to the flange. Then I used my tin snips to trim it to fit. Looking at the speaker from the side it was obvious I needed the spacer to allow the speaker to work properly. Those tweeter wires needed to move also.