Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: latech's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View LATECH's profile Entries: 6
Views: 3960
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (2): [1] 2

05-26-2013 09:23 AM Motor - vator
This is a picture of the new Engine that has been in the works for a while.
It is a 65 389 block , bored to 4.120
Decked to .005 (Verified)
5140 rods
Forged trw slugs, 6 CC eyebrows
Stock crank-polished
80 CC heads,mild portwork
Crosswinds intake
Q jet
Crane 272-2 cam 218-226 @.050 112 LSA ,108 centerline
Stock points dizzy with crane springs and adjustable vac pot

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #6]

05-19-2012 05:18 PM New Gas Tank
Finally got a new gas tank, sending unit , sealing ring and seal.Straps too.Put it in last weekend. The original actually wasnt really bad, just some light surface rust , and a few dents. The filler neck was messed up where the cap went on, so instead of spending hours, sanding, repairing the neck, trying to pop dents...etc....a new unit was procured.
I got it from OPGI and that was a smart choice. The metal is as heavy gauge as the original, neck was soldered in tight,i am very pleased with the fit and look . It looks just like an OE tank. I also put on new straps and a new sending unit, gasket and sealing ring.
My thinking was not to waste time on the old one it would have been time consuming and costly to repair it. Not to mention the peace of mind a new tank gives.
Note the nifty plate frame.
Also last picture bump.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #5]

12-10-2011 05:55 PM Tips
I put these stainless tips on after the duals were finished. They came about a week afterwards.
You can see the areas that have some filler in them. The drivers door was replaced years ago and Earl Scheib must have painted it, as the car lot sticker on the trunklid was painted right over. This car is giving up its secrets pretty hard. Also the right front fender was replaced at one time as it is marimba red underneath.
The passenger side has a few scrapes and dings but only a few spots of filler that I can detect. Of course it will all need to be removed and refinished before paint gain.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #4]

12-10-2011 05:40 PM Interior
The interior is pretty well wasted. The door panels are scetchy and would be drivers quality at best so I will run them for the time being. Ths winter I am going to focus on Reupholstering and repairing the framework of the front seats. Ihave the dash painted and the instrument panel has been painted and completlt refurbished and tested and works perfectly. I have installed a 65 FM AM radio also.
I have no tachometer, but have the rallye clock instead. I may look for an old steering wheel mounted sun tach to keep with the 70s period look of the car.
I also have the chrome console and floorshift for the automatic installed and it looks good.I also installed a brand new dark Blue dash pad from Pontiac years store and it looks great.
I plan on driving it next year, unfinished and unpainted, eventually working it up to the point where I can paint it as I have some dents and dings to repair and it needs to be completely sanded down to paint it. Maybe I should drive it to Florida and get my Bro to paint it for me.
The engine in the picture is the 350 that was in it when I bought it , it started right up after wiring and plumbing and some accessories.It runs good. I have an extra 4 barrel and intake, I may put on it just for fun when the 389 goes in.
I forgot to mention earlier that when I put in the control arm bushings I also put in new coil springs on all 4 corners.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

12-10-2011 05:29 PM Duals
I also put a Flowmaster dual exhaust on this summer. I have stock manifolds and will eventually upgrade to the ram air reproduction manifolds as they are almost as good as headers but without the hassle.
You can see it looks rusty underneath,but it is surface rust that I am going to finish adressing next spring.I had the trans tunnel sanded and painted before I put it together as I figured it would be tough to do after I had it installed.I had to replace the trunk floor as it was pretty mothy, however the braces were all very good.I cut them out and replaced them anyway, not sure why...LOL

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #2]

Pages (2): [1] 2