Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: spacytracy's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View spacytracy's profile Entries: 36
Views: 5898
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (8): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

02-17-2015 09:58 AM 1957 Chevrolet truck 1981 Firebird sub frame
Radiator came, but of course it would not just drop in. I ended up cutting off the side mounting flanges which allowed me to drop the radiator down to within 1/2" of the front sway bar and center everything out. I used the pieces I cut off to fabricate new mounting plates and just bent and formed them to fit. They are attached with rubber washers between. I also hooked up the new CCP shifter linkage to the CCP steering column. Down to 3 more major tasks. Need new brake lines and hoses, need the exhaust re fabricated, and need to wire up the column and front lights.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #36]

02-10-2015 02:59 PM 1957 Chevrolet truck 3100 Firebird sub frame
This is what the truck looked like prior to flipping the rear axle and adding the Firebird sub frame

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #35]

02-10-2015 02:47 PM 1957 Chevrolet Truck 3100 camaro/firebird sub frame graft
Follow up pictures

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #34]

02-10-2015 02:41 PM 1957 Chevrolet truck 3100 Firebird sub frame graft
Will it ever end? With the help of my wife, I marked and cut the inner fenders to fit around the new suspension and frame. First one took about 15 cuts, while the second side took two. Attempted to install the radiator frame and realized that the bottom mounts were now going to be in the way, so off they came. Got the frame bolted to the fenders and then discovered the front bumper shield was going to hit the sub frame ends, so cut the back flange off and it is very close but I will need to cut the tops off of the sub frame ends and weld them back on about 3/8 lower. Mocked up the front grill into position, then mocked up the front bumper to check ride height. About 9 inches off the floor. Same height as my wifes Chrysler 300 bumper.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #33]

02-03-2015 02:53 PM 1957 Chevrolet 3100 pickup truck Firebird sub frame grafting
Haven't had enough spare time to work on the truck, but did manage to install the power brake booster and swing arm assembly last night. Removing the original bracket from under the dash is not fun. Also partially installed the GM power steering pump. I had planned to use the lower front block pair of holes, but the pitman arm hit the bottom of the pump reservoir. I moved it up one bolt hole so now only have one bolt attaching the bracket to the block. I will fabricate another mount to attach to the water pump. Still waiting on CPP to deliver the steering U joint, then the steering will be completely installed. Also decided to install a 1969 Mustang gas tank between the rails at the rear of the truck and remove the tank from behind the seat while I'm at it. Needed to run new gas line anyway.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #32]

Pages (8): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8