This phase of my project is coming to an end. I primed and painted the interior and began putting the dash back together. I ended up calling a professional to install the rear window, and boy am I glad I did. I called the same guy that did the glass in my 38 Chevrolet Coupe 5 years ago. He had the right tools and the right patience to install it without any cracks. I ordered deluxe chrome trim for around the rear window and doors, two more knobs with cables for the dash and new gaskets for the vent doors. I also installed the repro radio in the hole and a deluxe heat switch assembly. Today I will add some insulation and paint the headliner and door panels then put the seat back in.
I am not going to paint the truck soon, but decided to sand off the top to bare metal. Found some light surface rust under the paint. The clear coat on my truck has completely failed. Looks like a sunburn. Previous owner painted. I have work to do on the rear of the fenders, I have a set with good sections that I will graft on. Also need to doo both outer corners, both lower door skins and 1 rear front fender lower section. I am also sanding the entire interior of the truck now and will paint inside this week I hope. Tomorrow is my Ski day, so no work until Thursday. My wife is in Hawaii for 10 days as a nanny to one of our granddaughters so I have been able to work a lot this past week. Need to finish welding the dash patch panel and then ready to prep for paint. Think I will have a pro install the rear glass. Too expensive to make a mistake.
My old window section had some nasty dents, so I cut the roof section back far enough to eliminate the dents. New window section had some small dents, but nothing a little filler couldn't take care of. I also decided to cut the lower section just below the cove detail. The deluxe stainless molding should help to hide any distortion, but it came out really nice. Drivers roof corner was slightly different from the existing cab roof, so I made three curf cuts to bring it down to the cab roof. Worked out almost perfect. Stamping was different. Not sure what year my big window section came from. I'm sure the dies for the roof changed slightly over the 5 years these were built.
I took about 7 1/2 hours to lay out the cut, cut both outside and inside and then scribe the new section to fit. I welded bolts across the top of the doors and below the cut on the doors to keep everything from shifting once it was cut through. I cut it so that there would be plenty of scribe needed to make it fit. It was light enough to handle by myself. I just kept marking with a sharpie and grinding until it fit really well.