Well I tried to get this done, but it turns out the Grand kids end up on the All-Star Baseball team and have more games for us to watch. Anyhow I bought some MP-200 Direct-to Metal primer with activator. The application went ok. After these pictures I sanded all the fenders and a lot of the small dings and dents went away. There still some small ones left that I'll have to get after probably grind off and fill? I found that you must clean the spray guy right when your done because that primer sets up pretty fast. And it did sand very easy as advertised.
Put the fenders back on for final smothie work. The joints filled in nice by the head lights. No buldge out on driver side lower panel. Hope to primer sat. Got a primer that goes on bare metal and is high build and easy to sand. Working on rear fenders also. I want all fenders and running boards ready for paint.
The driver side front fender has a special problem. The lower half is a very poor fit. It is to long and causes a buldge out that is pretty obvious. I thought that this is a problem with just my truck, but looking at pictures of other trucks I see the same thing. Drives me buggy. So I made it shorter. Removed the end piece, had to break spot welds reinstalled to make for a better fit redrilling new mounting holes. Also cleaned up the front connect points and filled with body filler for a better look.
Finally finished floor cover. Cut out a hole in the back of cab for a 3rd tail light. The light came off a 98 Dodge Dakota. Got clips with screws, gaskets the whole nine yards. It will be brake light and directional signals.
Filled the holes from the addon turn signals. Those big amber 3.5 inch round flashers ( put um on E-Bay). I will use the parking lights with amber lenses for turn signals. I put a copper piece under the hole held on with magnets. Mig welded the holes up. Grinded them down and primered.