Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: jason777's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View jason777's profile Entries: 12
Views: 1647
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

11-12-2011 03:58 PM Start Up
I got the engine swapped and started up, but the stock starter just doesn't have enough torque to turn it over without draining my battery. So, I ordered a mini starter from Summit.

I initially had no compression on cylinder #1, so I fixed the problem by backing off the rocker stud nuts off a quarter turn. The rest were adjusted properly.

Enjoy.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #12]

09-24-2011 01:33 PM Lifters and Pushrods Installed
My top and bottom end are now complete. I had to use a different method for adjusting my valve lash because the first method resulted in over tightened valves.

Enjoy.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #11]

09-18-2011 03:24 PM Heads Installed
It's been raining all weekend, but I got my head gaskets in and I wasn't going to let anything slow me down.

In between rains I put my heads on. I used fel pro .016" shim gaskets and sprayed permatex copper gasket spray on the deck to fill slight scratches and imperfections; The head side was put on dry since the heads were surfaced.

I torque my heads different from most people because I know after the heads get hot they will loosen a little and cause leaks. I tightened the new bolts with a ratchet, then torque them 1/8 turn, then I used a torque wrench to torque to 70 ft. lbs, then I used a 1/2" breaker bar to put another 1/8 turn on them to get the desired stretch rather than a desired amount of torque.

Enjoy.

[Entry #10]

09-05-2011 03:54 PM Engine assembly begins
Got my rebuild kit in for this four day weekend. I'm now waiting for a crankshaft socket so I can measure the deck height and see if can use the stock head gaskets or not.

I poured 3/4 quart of 5 weight oil all over the internal parts of the engine before I installed the oil pan. 5 Weight can penetrate tighter spaces than 10 weight while the engine sits.

Specs:

Piston skirt diameter - 4.038"

Cylinder bore - 4.041"

Main bearing clearance - .001"

Rod bearing clearance - .001"

Enjoy.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #9]

08-20-2011 12:49 PM Decals
Here is a cool 355 decal I found on E Bay.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #8]

Pages (3): [1] 2 3