The joy of parts and info hunting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2002, 05:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post The joy of parts and info hunting

The term "expert opinion" is an oxymoron. When it comes to automotive information, this is what you end up with most of the time, as long as all your doing is asking questions. I learned today that it really doesn't matter who or where you get your information from, don't count on it completely until you've proven it by application. It cost me 1 dollar to enter Frank Butler's U-pull-it yard in Pensacola, FL. I spent 2 hours researching the differences between the 7.5" 10 bolt rear-end(s). I found information that was supposed to be of expert origin to be not completely true. The factory is not very kind about giving up information about some things, so we have to chase down the real answers ourselves. I didn't find the part I was looking for, but for 1 dollar and 2 hours of my time I found out some facts. Combined with all the information I've gathered, thats alotta knowledge for a buck(a real bargain). When you build a car(or rebuild, whatever), kiss the money goodbye, if you anticipate breaking even or making a profit you are insane(for that type of thinking). This is not the true reward. The true reward is in the effort you put forth. It's nice to share information and experiences with other people on this bulletin board and I enjoy reading about the discoveries of the other members. To me this is what it's all about and I hope some of my posts and opinions don't get misunderstood, I was jesting with 57chevyman about being old fashioned because he opposed the use of headers, it was just humor and I hope it was recieved as lightly as I tried to put it. Our opinions do mean something to each other, otherwise we would not be on here. My first post on this bulletin board ended a little defensively with "no smart *** replies please" because you come to expect things like that on the web. Weak minded people do this and then hide behind thier keyboard. I've been happy to see an absence of this and on the rare occasion that it happens someone tactfully responds in defense and thats normally as far as it goes. This is a good site and a good bulletin board, it's up to all of us to keep it that way, heck, I'd even like to see a member get together formed somehow, somewhere(maybe at some National event). But thats just my expert opinion.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2002, 08:20 PM

Thumbs up

Jooooooe, thanks for the good words for everyone it was well thought out and written. Like you I enjoy the time I spend here and learn something new almost every time. It is a mix of people both young and old that have questions, ideas,dreams,and answers. I wish there would have been a place like this years ago when I started toying with cars. Now to finally answer your axle problem, you need 28spline axles if I remember correctly go to your frendly local yard and by a pair for a 9inch Ford, just be sure to get the rest of the rearend to go with the axles, problem solved. I keep trying to tell people all good Chevys have a Ford pushing them!!!
I'm watching with interest the possibility of some kind of get together in the future
Old 01-12-2002, 05:29 AM

Wink

O.K., Larry, just remember, always better to be a wise bible mule, that a dumb bible mule. You know what I'm saying? :p
Old 09-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Banned User

Last photo:

i agree totally; But as far as not breaking even or making a profit when you rebuild. i feel where you are really coming out ahead is with all the money your are saving when you keep a car rolling vs. buying a new one every 5-10 years.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:13 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

Great site here. I have said it many times. I contribute to posts where I can help, and absorb what I can on posts I am less familiar. Dont be afriad to ask questions. We all can learn something. This site, in my opinion is the BEST hotrod site on the internet, and I'm glad to be a part of it.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.