Hot Rod Forum banner

July 2013 Hot Rod Art Contest: Pre-1940 Pickups

10K views 51 replies 13 participants last post by  carbman 
#1 ·
Our June 2013 art contest winners 57Corvette and Job~Rated have selected "Pre-1940 Pickups" as the topic for this month's art contest.

This month, the winner gets a $100 gift certificate to Speedway Motors. (Job~Rated has donated his prize from the June contest into this month's award.)

Voting will take place in the last week of July, so please have all entries posted by the 25th.

Thanks to all participants and voters!

#5 ·
Jimmy Shines 34 Ford Pickup

So -Cal Fabricator Jimmy Shine Built his famous 34 ford in 1997 and went old school all the way. Nice Truck..... This picture was done with a #5 lead pencil and my God given talent, NOT a computer with add-on"s . Long Live old school and the artist that were part of it.Signed : Vagabond road artist Lincoln Highway Johnny

Attachments

#9 ·
LOL:D Thanks, Bob, appreciate it! In my opinion, art is art. no matter how it's done. I'm always looking forward to viewing your work, and others that digitally create on this site and the HAMB, etc. Maybe someday I'll have the patience to try and learn the digital techniques, but until such time, I'll continue to do what I've been doing. If only we could all just enjoy the substantial creative talent that's posted here just for its artistic value, rather than pre-judge the various techniques used, then we'd be way ahead of the game! My only wish is that more members would enter their work, and more members would vote!:D

#11 ·
Whining, give me a shop rag.

What better way to get peoples interest then a little drama, Get It.. The battle between the Computer wiss and Let's say God given talent Artist has already been fought at the battle at the H.A.M.B. what a drama but it sparked peoples interest, which gets people involved . Lets add a little spice to the mix, If your computer took a dump or a major brown out happened with no back up energy could you still create the Beautiful computer art work we are blessed with each month.? Now if someone took away my pencils, pens, and brushes and threw me into no mans land could I still create art work ? With what Mother Nature provides and my knowledge of elements. I say YES. Signed Vagabond Road Artist Lincoln Highway Johnny.

#14 ·
What better way to get peoples interest then a little drama, Get It.. The battle between the Computer wiss and Let's say God given talent Artist has already been fought at the battle at the H.A.M.B. what a drama but it sparked peoples interest, which gets people involved . Lets add a little spice to the mix, If your computer took a dump or a major brown out happened with no back up energy could you still create the Beautiful computer art work we are blessed with each month.? Now if someone took away my pencils, pens, and brushes and threw me into no mans land could I still create art work ? With what Mother Nature provides and my knowledge of elements. I say YES. Signed Vagabond Road Artist Lincoln Highway Johnny.
But Johnny, one can almost taste the animosity towards the digital art that you expressed in your previous post, so it must bother you, somewhat. We all just need to be a tad more open-minded, and welcome all forms of visual art that's expressed here, even though it may not be our medium. I'm like yourself, I only use pencils, pens and markers to create my humble creations, and I can't even begin to technically compete with some of the artists on this site, as well as the HAMB or others, but it doesn't stop me from accepting the offer to challenge myself and enter my work. I personally admire your creative ability, as I do Bob's, and all the artists that frequent this site, and hopefully, this monthly show will turn around and start to grow once again, and attract even more like-minded artistic individuals!:)

#13 ·
First of all, by making statements like God given talent vs. a computer with add-ons, you're saying one is better than the other ...thus setting up a class difference between the artists. My feeling has always been that there is room for all and if you don't like a particular type of art, use the scroll bar and move to the next one. Using the HAMB is a great example ....many people I have spoken with no longer go to that site because of the caustic comments by some of their members.

If my computer goes down, it's true I can no longer to my type of artwork ......but what happens when arthritis takes your hands or your eyesight goes?? Having this discussing in my opinion does not spark interest within the members it only causes hard feelings. We need to embrace all styles of artwork here to encourage as many people as possible to add their talents and work to this site .........in case you haven't noticed, this site is slowly dying. Let's not discourage anyone from posting because some members think their type of artwork is more worthy than others.

Just my opinion for what it's worth .........rock-on artists!

Bob

#15 ·
Art is the eyes of the beholder

I have been in the art community for a long time. I have known a lot of artist at different levels of knowledge. I have seen Folks struggle to persevere on a work of art. I have Shared as a teacher to help others when needed. I must always remember great Natural Old School Artist that I have known and admired that are no longer with us. For this is how I base my opinion . I enjoy every ones postings on this site. And I believe this site is healthy . People I meet on the road enjoy the Hot Rodders site. I get feed back. But yes in my opinion there is a big difference between Computer art and Given art. A good detailed hand drawen piece at the size of 9 by 14 can take up to 20 hours. "So what do I know and who cares "..... I an a road Pirate now. Signed Artist Lincoln Highway Johnny

#50 ·
I have been in the art community for a long time. I have known a lot of artist at different levels of knowledge. I have seen Folks struggle to persevere on a work of art. I have Shared as a teacher to help others when needed. I must always remember great Natural Old School Artist that I have known and admired that are no longer with us. For this is how I base my opinion . I enjoy every ones postings on this site. And I believe this site is healthy . People I meet on the road enjoy the Hot Rodders site. I get feed back. But yes in my opinion there is a big difference between Computer art and Given art. A good detailed hand drawen piece at the size of 9 by 14 can take up to 20 hours. "So what do I know and who cares "..... I an a road Pirate now. Signed Artist Lincoln Highway Johnny
Johnny... My hat is off to you.... I love seeing EVERYONE'S work here and wish I could get into the Computer part of this art,,, I am a Artist by pencils and lean more to the free hand,,, Like I said I like them all and hope no one takes this the wrong way,,,

I posted in One of these Contest once.. Free hand and felt it was a waste of time against computer drawings,,, It's two to different class's of art,, I fell we would do better on this forum if we had two different contest,,, Sorry but that how I see this getting any better... I been drawing my whole life and I won't even try going against computer drawing's,,, They are well done and I don't take or have anything against anyone that could do it,, He** I want to get it a try too,, But wouldn't even know where to start,, Give me a pencil and some time not bilding cars and I enjoy doing it...I just have a hard time finding time because I don't sit still very long,,

Again I didn't want to put anyone's work down,, Keep up the great work EVERYONE,,, But I do feel it would make a big difference to have two contest..Just my two cents..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.