Hot Rod Forum banner

Jumping 6 Volt Battery with 12 Volt Battery

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  gow589 
#1 ·
This topic may have been talked about before but I didn't find the answer I needed. So here goes.

I have a 1953 GMC truck with its orignial 6 volt system. I have all the parts to change it over to a 12 volt but haven't brought myself to do it yet.

Recently I had a dead battery and not a single 6 volt battery to jump off the truck anywhere, just 12 volt systems.

My question, is there a device that I could keep in the truck and using to reduce a 12 volt battery down to a 6 volt so, it this ever happens again, a 12 volt car or truck could jump off the old GMC with its 6 volt system without damaging any of the electrical?

#2 ·
I've jumped a 6v with a 12v many times with no ill effects...... the key is, at least in my case, as soon as you hook the jumpers up, start cranking. As soon as it starts remove the jumpers. The starter will get hot real quick so you can't hold that key for too long and you almost need two people to do it (unhooking the jumpers)

#3 ·
turn everythiing is off

Turn off ALL accessories. Radio, Heater Lights and anything else it might have. If you have 2 sets of jumper cables you can do 12 ground to 6 volt chassis ground 12 V hot cable to inside next to you on an old sweat shirt. 6 volt battery to next to you , touch cables to crank. If the battery is under your feet , then it easy with one set of cables. I have 2 sets of very heavy and long jumpers make from welding type cable. Necessary when trying to start a diesel engine in the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.